Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
Accepted Solution

option for software update not available

i purchased a blackberry bold 9900 last year.  i want to update the software. when i go to options--->device i don't see an option like "software update" which is there in other models. i want to know is it not there only in my handsets or other bold 9900s as well.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: option for software update not available

Hi and Welcome to the Community!,

I think that is controlled by your carrier...if there is no update from them, then there is no selection. When your carrier releases an update, then it'll appear.

But...I actually highly recommend AGAINST that method of update anyway. With the OTA update, an on-device backup of your BB is taken, from which a restore is done once the update completes. But, if anything goes wrong (and it all-too-often does!!), that backup is lost forever, along with all of your data. Hence, I always recommend a USB tethered (to your computer) update...which actually (for PC) allows you to also use OS packages that are released by other carriers (which may be newer than yours has released; some carriers are slow at that process).

To start, please review the link in my auto-sig on this post regarding good backup processes to be using...that's how you protect yourself in the case of any catastrophic failure.

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Don't forget to backup.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I get what you're saying here. But what exactly my problem is I don't have the option that checks for new updates. In other models when you choose
Menu-->options-->device there is a link/option that reads "software updates". I don't have that in my handset. I think this is inbuilt and has nothing to with the carrier. Can you help me with this, please?
Hall of Famer II

Please tell me your exact OS level and I'll see if I have a simulator that is close:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

Unless...a wild guess...are you perhaps on BES? If so, your BES admins may be blocking it (since OS updates need to be carefully coordinated for BES users).

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

7.1 bundle 1646(v7.1.0.523, platform 5.1.0.393)
And no, I'm not on BES.
I hope you've got what issue I'm facing. It's like the option which should have been in my handset, by default, is missing.
Hall of Famer II

Hello again,

OK...I do have a simulator that is close -- 9900/7.1.0.318. Here is what the screen looks like from:

• Homescreen > Options > Device
  •  
  • 9900.png

As you can see, the selection for "Software Updates" is there. As far as I know, that selection should therefore be shown for you as well. To be certain, are the items nearby (in the above screenshot) to Software Updates the same as yours? In other words, does your menu go directly from Smart Accessories to Storage, skipping Software Updates?

swati_arora1234 wrote:

And no, I'm not on BES.

Any chance the device has ever been on BES? Was it truly "brand new" when it was received? Or was it perhaps used or refurbished? While rare, it has been reported that a device a user thought was new was actually not, and had a latent IT Policy on board blocking some functions. You can check that situation on yours via:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

In any event, are you not interested in the non-OTA update method? After all, if perhaps the specific version you have is somehow corrupted and is missing this menu selection, perhaps conducting an update or clean reload might cure this problem?

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Exactly my problem! my menu misses this "software update" thing. i've updated the software again but it didn't help. As far as i know i did receive my phone in BRAND NEW condition. I just checked for an IT policy on my phone with the link that you provided. I followed the instructions and it says "no services". So no, no IT policy is assigned. What should i do in this case now?

Hall of Famer II

swati_arora1234 wrote:

i've updated the software again

Which method did you use please? Please be precise, for the details actually matter a great deal in this...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

i updated m phone's software from OS 7.0 to 7.1 by connecting my phone to mac via USB and then with blackberry desktop software. what other details?

Hall of Famer II

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to understand.

With MAC, you are restricted to only those OS packages that your carrier allows...there is no method to override and use another carriers OS package (as you can do on PC). But can still use any levels that they currently sanction, and can perform a clean OS reload to perhaps see if that cures your situation. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Don't forget to backup.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates