Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
swati_arora1234
My Device: bold 9900

Re: option for software update not available

done that already. didn't help the situation. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

OK...then before I waste yet more of your time giving you further redundant advice, could you please carefully list out exactly ALL of the things you've already attempted? It will be much faster for you that way...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
swati_arora1234

ok. i'll tell you what
i purchased my phone on 11th sept, 2012. i updated the software to 7.1 via USB. Rather my brother did it for me. I never checked whether this option is there in my handset or no. It was in january 2013 that i wanted to reload the software. when i checked on youtube as to how to do it, i got to know of this option. I couldn't find it in my phone then so i reloaded it with blackberry desktop software thinking it would bring back the software update option. but it didn't!
yea, so this is the whole thing now.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
swati_arora1234

i don't really get how an inbuilt option just go missing in my handset!?!?!?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK thank you...two clarifications, though...

swati_arora1234 wrote:

I never checked whether this option is there in my handset or no.

So you have no idea if this option was ever there or not...OK...then all we are doing is assuming it should be there, but that may or may not be a valid assumption.

swati_arora1234 wrote:

i wanted to reload the software. when i checked on youtube as to how to do it, i got to know of this option. I couldn't find it in my phone

That actually is incorrect...on the device itself, there is no ability to perform an OS reload...only an OS update based on what your carrier has released. But true reloads can only be done via a computer. So that youtube video you found must have been totally inaccurate.

swati_arora1234 wrote:

yea, so this is the whole thing now.

OK...then let's go back to the beginning, the bit about the IT Policy...while very very rare, it is possible for an IT Policy to exist yet give no sign of it's existence. Consequently, what want you to do is two very specific WIPE activities...before you do, review again please the backup processes linked from my auto-sig...you will need that.

First, using the on-device WIPE command:

• KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

Be sure to select ALL of the options it presents on your BB screen...you need to truly scrub it clean.

Second, after that WIPE completes and your BB reboots, I then want you to do a ResetToFactory WIPE. I don't have the MAC Desktop Software, so I don't know if the command indicated in this KB exists for MAC:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

If it does not, then there is a section in this KB to perform it on MAC

• KB18998 How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults

Third, don't do any restore...just check to see if the option now exists or not. If it does, then you can proceed with restoring from your backup...just be very careful please. Do not do a wholesale restore...rather, only do a selective restore, and only restore those critical databases (e.g., calendar, contacts, etc.) and especially DO NOT restore any databases that have anything to do with IT Policy:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

Please note that I've no idea if any of this will work or not...but you seemed to want to proceed, so I'm giving you things to try. We honestly do not know if that item should even exist on your menu or not, and I continue to strongly recommend AGAINST ever using it, even if we do manage to make it appear on your BB.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

swati_arora1234 wrote:

i don't really get how an inbuilt option just go missing in my handset!?!?!?

We actually don't know if it went missing...from what you told me, you do not know if it ever existed on your BB. We are assuming that it is missing, but since you never saw it before, we cannot know for sure.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
swati_arora1234

is it possible that the option might not be there from the very beginning? what can be done then?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

swati_arora1234 wrote:

is it possible that the option might not be there from the very beginning? what can be done then?

Please read what I recommended in post 15...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Developer
NdotIndia
My Device: blackberry bold 9900 ( I am a blackberry application developer)

I think your settings are now in default mode. Please change that into advance setting mode and check it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
swati_arora1234

and how do i do that?

Please use plain text.