Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

os6 low memory

My browser keeps closing due to low memory. Anyone know a fix?
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: os6 low memory

Which device? Do you know how low is low?

Do you have a lot of applications installed? Do you leave applications running instead of closing them down?

When was the last time you did a battery pull?

New Contributor

9700. I'm not sure what "a lot of applications would be. I close down my aps most of the time. I do a battery pull at least daily.
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Doing the battery pull daily is good for your phone; continue doing so.

When you close down an app, there are two ways of doing it.  The more well-known way of doing it is to press the red phone key while in the app.  Unfortunately, this doesn't close it down, it minimizes it to the background while keeping it running.  The second, not as well-known but more correct way of doing it is to press the menu key while in the app and select Close or Exit.  This shuts down the app correctly.

Another good idea is to occasionally press and hold the menu key while on your homescreen to see how many apps you have running at that moment.  If you have more than, say 7or 8 running, you might want to shut some of them down using the preferred method described above.

I hope that helps or atleast sheds some light on the situation.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thanks so much for your time on this.

I do occasionally forget to exit or close, but even with them open there are only 7 or 8.

I tried to close most of them, but for some reason there is one that I never use that stays open. BB Messenger. I can't even delete it from my phone. Any ideas on this? It takes up more nmemory than any of the others, and all of my friends have iPhones, so it is of no use to me.
Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 v6.0.0.576
My Carrier: Orange UK

No, BBM is actually a core element of the os and so cannot be removed unless you remove the BBM system files before installing the os, this is called shrinking. This makes it more unstable and I would not recommend it unless you have time to experiment. You can remove many of the built-in apps from the os to save space.

My personal observation and opinion.

I have the 9700 and have installed many leaked os versions since november. The os itself is quite adaptive and becomes stable after a few days of using. when the os is freshly installed, it is a slow in response and gives more errors and requires a battery pull daily, but as days and a couple of weeks go by, it actually needs less frequent battery pulls.

As for the low memory issues, I would suggest 2 apps which i use to recover memory.

Menu Scanner and Clock

Memory Booster - AFBB

both are free. Menu scanner can be set up to recover lost memory while the phone is idle which makes it my favourite. these apps also recover memory on demand.

If you want more info on shrinking, just ask.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!