Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

outgoing language

[ Edited ]

I have a new BlackBerry Bold.

I cannot make it accept US English as my default language for outgoing messages.  It's funny, but annoying, since I cannot simply do an alt +$ without coming up with and English pound symbol.  And, spell check is always trying to change my spelling to British English.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Toolbox: typing and language: language: input language: Manage

I get this far, but both English (UK) and English (US) are checked and I cannot uncheck or delete UK English.

Physical Keyboard Input; Voice Dialing; & Voice Search are all set at English (US), yet I still can't type in US English.

Any bright ideas?

PS: I bought the phone at a Verizon Wireless store.  I've unchecked all other languages in the Input Language/Manage menu. 

Many Thanks

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: N NetCom

Re: outgoing language

If you want to change the input language just hit Alt+Enter or Shift+Space and choose the language you want, or Options -> Typing and Language -> Language.

The $ button can be set to different currency symbols, I think the different ones are $€¥£, this is done easily in the options, I have mine set to €. Shouldn't be too hard, open Options -> Typing and Language -> Keyboard and then you will see the words "Currency Key", just choose the one you like there.

Cheers
New Contributor

Thanks, Habbitz.  Your suggestions did not work, HOWEVER, I did go back to the toolbox ->Typing and Language->Keyboard->Currency Key and was able to change to a $ symbol. 

Still no luck with changing to US English.  I'll just ignore all the suggestions in spell check. 

Super Contributor

Strange, even I can change between US and UK English, and I have a Norwegian device!! Are you sure US Engish is installed on your device? This is pretty easy to do if you have a computer with the Desktop Software and a USB cable.
New Contributor

Habbitz, I'm sorry, I should have updated you sooner, but I was busy with other tasks. It seems that by setting the $ symbol as I described in my last post above, it reset the language to US English. I don't know why, but I'll take it. And, actually your suggestions WERE helpful, but in a round-a-bout way: my device does not lead to Typing and Language->Keyboard from Options. I have to use the Tools icon from the touch screen. Nevertheless, I followed your directions from Tools (icon)->typing and Language, etc. & came to the same result. So, thank you very much for helping me solve my puzzle!
New Contributor

And, PS: yes, US and UK English are both installed on my device. Before writing to this forum I even tried deleting UK, but was unable. Why simply changing the noney symbol worked, I do not know. An endearing BB quirk, I guess.
Highlighted
Super Contributor

In the end, all is good!

Cheers (:
New Contributor

Schuss!