Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: wind mobile

please help!!! back up to sd card, security swipe

So this is what happened, Co-worker got new BB had no id set up yet so I tried mine on his, his carrier ended up deleting the id when they created his the next day. I cannot use mine now says invalid or sometimes to use the id associated with the phone. I have done research and seen a security swipe should fix that. This is where it gets interesting i have to usb port to back everything up would like to back everything up to an sd card is possible. how would i do that?

On another note I also downgraded to OS 5 wouldnt mind going back to 6 how can that be possible without a USB port.

Thanks

New Contributor

Re: please help!!! back up to sd card, security swipe

plus pretty sure the blackberry id is completely deleted, how can i go about getting a new one for the phone. what can i do about the whole situation
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

Goodness...what a mess...and so many different issues...I hope I hit them all here...hard to be sure. Given the mess that now exists in all of this, please right now resign yourself to there being no simple fix to all of this...

On your co-workers BB, this will be required to shift the association on that BB away from your now-dead BBID and over to their new one:

• KB26694 How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone

Yes, it's a device WIPE...but that is what is required. Backup/Restore will be needed...but you also have that as part of your question, so we'll separate the topics...

Backup to SD? It may exist (from time to time, I hear mention of it), but I've never actually tried it, nor can I (quickly) find any documentation for it. The USB backup is the best, so get your hands on a proper BB USB cable and use it for this purpose. The process for backup/restore is contained (via link) within the above KB.

Now that your co-workers BB is shape for them, it's time to take care of yours.

First though, a question -- are their any AppWorld records you need to retain that were associated with your old BB ID? Principally, this will only be important if you paid for any apps via AppWorld. If not, then there's no sense going through the hassle of trying to get escalated to RIM to retrieve those. Rather, just WIPE your BB and then create a new BBID and move on from there:

• KB24062 How to create a BlackBerry ID

If you do require prior purchase records, then you will have to go through the formal support channels...which starts with your mobile service provider, as they are the only folks who can escalate cases into RIM for formal attention.

Then again, are you sure your old BB ID is actually dead? From your post, I cannot tell for sure. For instance, when you used your BBID on your co-workers BB, that shifted the association of the BBID over to your co-workers BB. But, nothing should have actually deleted your BBID. Once your co-workers BB is properly on it's own BBID, you should WIPE your BB and see if you can then associate it back to your old BB ID.

Let's see...what else in all of that...oh yes, the bit about the carrier deleting/creating BB IDs. I've never heard of any being quite so generous. Indeed, the user must create their BB ID as they need to assign credentials (UserID, email association, password, secret question, etc.) to it, so I'm not quite convinced of what you said in that regard. When you try the above, you may discover that your assumptions about what went on here were not totally correct.

Lastly...updating your BB OS. It is possible to update the BB OS wirelessly, but I do not at all recommend it. That process takes an on-device backup of your data, from which it restores after the update completes. But, if anything goes wrong (and it all-too-often does), that backup file is lost forever...taking with it all of your data. Not good. Hence, the USB method of performing an OS update is, IMHO, always the way to go. Since you had to obtain a USB cord anyway to complete the above, you can no use it for this purpose.

Secondly, the OTA updates offer only the OS packages that your specific carrier has released and supports for your BB. Other carriers might offer newer OS levels, but via the OTA method, you cannot have those since your carrier is in control. Via USB, you can use any OS package from any carrier that is for your specific model BB...there are tricks involved, but it can be done.

All of that said, your first step is researching the available OS packages:

That is the official download portal. Since the carriers actually control release of OS to their customers (since the carrier must support their customer, they get the right to say "no" to any OS that they receive from RIM), the portal is first in order by carrier. So you must dig into all of them to find out which support your model, and then compare the OS levels they all support, and then choose which you desire to install. When you get to that point, just ask again and we can quickly provide you instructions as to how to proceed.

I think that's all the items you had in your posts...if I missed something, please repeat.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Okay might give it some time before i actually try anything just want to clear some things up. so with the id theres nothing purchased. I have tried the password reset and got the email for it thought i was good than. but than when i tried it on my device it tells me to use the one associated with the device. i use my other password it says invalid. day after all the confusion happened with my coworker when i use the forget password option it says the username is invalid and emails have stopped so now i dont know what is up. Secondly a few times you mentioned obtaining a USB cable, i have the cable it i the port on my device that is broken. 2nd time it has happened im not planning on getting it fixed since i am waiting for blackberry 10. so anything USB related CANNOT be done.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jaymz wrote:

Okay might give it some time before i actually try anything just want to clear some things up.

No worries...someone will be here to help you when you are ready I am sure...

jaymz wrote:

so with the id theres nothing purchased. I have tried the password reset and got the email for it thought i was good than. but than when i tried it on my device it tells me to use the one associated with the device. i use my other password it says invalid.

Once a BB ID is associated to a BB, the only way to change to a different BB ID on that BB is the device WIPE.

jaymz wrote:

day after all the confusion happened with my coworker when i use the forget password option it says the username is invalid and emails have stopped so now i dont know what is up.

As messed up as all of this is, the best bet IMHO is to WIPE both devices and start completely over. The BB ID's may be fine, but the relationship is 1:1...only one BB ID can be assigned to one BB, and to change the assigned BBID to that BB requires the device WIPE. Then, after, you will be able to, as part of the initiation process (it'll be almost like a brand new BB, with nothing on it and no assigned BBID), you can associate each BB to it's own BB ID. Since you have no purchase records to be concerned about, you can even totally abandon the old BB ID's and start with totally new ones.

jaymz wrote:

Secondly a few times you mentioned obtaining a USB cable, i have the cable it i the port on my device that is broken. 2nd time it has happened im not planning on getting it fixed since i am waiting for blackberry 10. so anything USB related CANNOT be done.

Then you will have a lot of difficulties indeed. Many things (including "clean" OS reloads, which are required whenever the OS itself becomes corrupt) require connection to the PC. So you simply will not be able to do those particular things.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code