Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
siddheshveer
My Device: BOLD 9900 October 2012
Accepted Solution

problems with WEB BROWSER not using wifi network to open some websites

hello i own BB BOLD 9900 OS 7.1....for the past two day i am facing a pretty annoying issue with the BB web browser.

It no ways affects the Device...it just annoys me.

when i TURN ON my Home Wi-Fi internet on my BB along with the already active Sim Carrier Network which has BIS Active on it, and open BB web browser, depending on which site i open the web browser chooses between the Wi-fi internet OR the Carrier BIS internet which is wierd.BCOZ as default if wifi is turned on, then the web browser MUST use the wifi internet Over the carrier network for browsing. YOU TUBE, FB and TWITTER.com all use my carrier netwrok to open bt as soon i open CNN or BBC.com or any other site the wifi symbol comes up on the right hand side and so it uses wifi network....and disappears when i open THOSE 3 SITES you tube FB n twitter.

My knowledge is that when u turn ON wifi network the WEB browser is intended  to USE the WIFI internet NOT the carrier internet

Next time i switchd off the carrier signal and then Turned ON only WI-FI internet and then opened the BB web browser. so now all the website opend with the wifi internet bt as soon as i opened YOU TUBE  or FB or TWITTER.com it  post a comment ......that cannot visit web page when carrier radio is turned off. please turn the radio on n try again.... i mean IT SHOULD OPEN with wifi internet?? WHY does it require sim carrier network to open web page??? 

i checkd my Browser settings and they are default and also my wifi settings i reset them ..still the probelm persists?

any idea wats going on ??

please help is needed i am annoyed for this problem...

thank you

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: problems with WEB BROWSER not using wifi network to open some websites

I'm not sure what the problem can be.  I know these sites to which you refer all have apps and an app developer can specify that a certain app is accessible by Network Connection, Wi-Fi, or both.  What confuses me even more is that I tried YouTube and Facebook and was able to access each over Wi-Fi with my Network Connection turned OFF, which you said you were unable to do.

It might not be a bad idea to reload your OS.  This might seem like a big step and there's no guarantee it will work, but something in your phone is preventing you from viewing these sites over Wi-Fi.  BTW, you're correct in stating that your phone will default to Wi-Fi over Network whenever both connections are present.

Whatever you decide to do, please keep us posted.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
siddheshveer

Thanks man....i knw this is wierd problem....but my frnd has the exact same OS 7.1 and exact same browser settings as on my device and he can seamlessly use his web browser with wifi internet even wen his Carrier network is turned off to open the Mentioned website....so its not issue with the websites...something is gone wrong with the fone software or settings...

i have taken screen shots of the exact pages where tje comment comes which tells me to switch on carrier network to open the website....bt i dont knw how can i post them here.....

please see if u can find any solution by asking ur BB frnds..

anyways i m going to the nearest service centre 2morow...guess they will also be bamboozzzzledd!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kiwii355
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

I've actually got the same problem. Its really weird, I don't even know what caused it to be honest, I reckon its one of those things that'll fix itself. The WiFi signal normally comes on, but it remains on 3G. However my problem is on all the sites, or at least the ones I've been on.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
siddheshveer

thanks Mr.KIWI ...atleast i got some brothers to share thses problem with ....its annoying....

i goin to service centre just as i finish this message...

i will let you knw wt happens..

cheerio!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
siddheshveer

Mr KIWI.....Good news ....i went to my carrier service centre...Problemo Solvedo  !!!

Go to your service books and delete WAP browser service books there are in all 3 WAP service books i dont knw the exact name but all are related to browser...WAP config something like dat...just delete dem ...and HARD restart ur fone...and try using only wifi over ur device with ur carrier network off...

mine worked....let me know about urs....so now the browser uses my wifi instead of my carrier network When both are turned ON....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kiwii355
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

You sir are a star! Thank you very much for that info! Worked like a charm. On a side note its "Miss Kiwi" haha :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
siddheshveer

U r welcome Miss, Funny hw An annoying problem on a smartfone can involve ppl from diffrnt part of the world to find a solution!

anyways have a nice day!

Be BOLD Be WISE Be a BLACKBERRY! Amen!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mojg1
My Device: 9900

The youtube videos plays only for a 1:19mins and I get a msg " ann error has occurred attempting to play media" does anyone know how to fix this problem.

Please use plain text.