Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

rwdots
My Device: Bold 9700

"Uncaught exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException" - Bold 9700

Bold 9700 - this has occurred 2x in the past week.  Bluetooth ceases to function and existing media files cannot be accessed.

The only fix for this seems to be reinstalling the software, but I can't find the steps to do that without re-activation BES and reloading contacts, etc. 

Does anyone have a process for fixing?

New Contributor
chantanito
My Device: Bold Onyx

Re: "Uncaught exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException" - Bold 9700

I have the very same problems, plus the GPS information cannot be accessed. Waiting for an aswer.

New Contributor
blackbilly

I am having this same problem.  Bluetooth devices I use are not working and I can't get into Bluetooth setup.  I can't access pictures I have taken.  Annoying and I want it to work.  I was enjoying my switch after 10 years of Win CE / Win Mobile until this :smileysad:

New Contributor
blackbilly

I got this working following some instructions from a rep in the ATT store. Something he dug up online.

If you're having problems with your BlackBerry Storm, they may be software related.  In some cases, the problems can be easily resolved by reloading an application, or changing settings, but in other cases, there are more serious problems which require more drastic measures.  Under these circumstances, it may help to reload the operating system on the phone.  The following will provide the steps on how to easily do this.

The following steps assume that you already have the operating system installed to your computer. If you do not, please download and install the OS to your computer to ensure that you are installing a clean version to your phone. To download the OS, go to your carrier's download site, available here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp.

1.       Before you do anything, back up your BlackBerry device.  Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and select Backup and Restore.  On the next screen select Backup and perform a full backup of your device data.  Note where the backup file is located (usually in the Documents folder).  Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and leave your device plugged in.

2.       Open Windows Explorer and go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ and open the Loader.exe file.  In Vista 64-bit computers, the file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.  Depending on your computer's settings, you may need to show hidden folders (under File > Options for Windows XP or Organize > Folder and Search Options in Windows Vista).

3.       After the device configuration has been retrieved, you will be on the Device Application Selection page.  You may scroll through the list to ensure all the applications you want are selected.  You can also de-select any applications you don't use to save space.  Click Next.

4.       On the next page, click on the Advanced button.  Ensure that both boxes (Delete all application data and Delete all currently installed applications) are checked.  Click Next.

5.       Proceed with the OS reinstall.  Note that this process may take 10-30 minutes (usually ~10 minutes).  Do not disconnect the device.

6.       Once the process is complete, re-open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  Select Backup and Restore and open the Restore application.  Select the file to restore (Backup-(Year-Month-Day).ipd) and click open.  Follow the steps to restore your device.

7.       Re-enable your device connection by going to Manage Connections and turn on your Mobile Network.  Re-download any missing applications and re-connect to any BlueTooth devices and you're done.

That's it.  You should now be back up and running.  Note that this process will delete all your third party applications, hence why you need to redownload any missing applications.  I also recommend pulling your battery out for 15-30 seconds after this process is complete to ensure the device is running smooth.

I hope this helps those of you looking for a complete and easy to follow set of steps for reloading your operating system.  This process typically takes ~30-40 minutes to complete. 

manchit
My Device: blackberry bold 9700

Bold 9700-- i have the same problems...    existing media files cannot be accessed and the music menu cannot be open too...

Does anyone have a process for fixing?

waiting for answer...

thanks

New Contributor
babymi2009

Hey.

Finally found others with the exact same problem as I am having. Does anyone know exactly what causes the problems? The exception error message started coming up for no apparent reason last week.

I have a MAC - how do I do a reload?

Also, my network carrier's link for downloads in the blackberry site always times out when I try the download - Zain Nigeria - directly from my phone. I had to reload my blackberry after a security wipe - my phone locked me out!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

babymi2009 wrote:

Hey.

Finally found others with the exact same problem as I am having. Does anyone know exactly what causes the problems? The exception error message started coming up for no apparent reason last week.

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- check them via this portal:

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, one must remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app.

babymi2009 wrote:

I have a MAC - how do I do a reload?

Via this procedure.

babymi2009 wrote:

Also, my network carrier's link for downloads in the blackberry site always times out when I try the download - Zain Nigeria - directly from my phone. I had to reload my blackberry after a security wipe - my phone locked me out!

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are asking there. You tried to download your carriers OS package onto your BB? Why? It's useless there...that package is designed to be installed to a PC and then used, via USB tether, to install the OS to the BB. So I'm confused about what you need on this point.

Cheers.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
babymi2009

Thanks. I am in the process of doing the reload now. The phone's just restarted and the java.lang message has not shown up. Let's hope it never does! Thank you so much. The "Accept Solution" button did not show up in your post so I was not able to do that. Thank you again.

Have reloaded my contacts - did the sync with my computer - but have not been able to reload my BB contacts. I did back up the phone before the reload but I do not want any of the old applications restored!

Guess I shall have to manually redo that - send the request out all over again (luckily there are only about 20 BB contacts!). Unless there's a different way.

Now downloading Blackberry Messenger.

Yippee, Bluetooth is back.

Pictures scrolling!

You're the best. Thanks again!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

You are most welcome!

FYI -- only the originator of the thread can mark it as solved...you were not the originator. Thanks for the Kudos though!

As for your BBM contacts, I don't recall which versions offer the ability to backup that list to the device, but if you did so (prior to starting the reload, of course), then it further would offer the ability to restore them. Find that here:

• BBM > Contacts > blackberry_logo.jpg > Options

Scroll down to (if it's there in your BBM version) Backup Management

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
babymi2009

Thanks. I just re-invited everyone! That was actually the easier and SAFER way! Not restoring any items from before yesterday when I did the reload!

Thanks again.

Take care!