Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
leeshab
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: rogers

random ALT button

Hello BB world!

So I upgraded my previous phone to the Blackberrt 9900 in December 2012. I absolutely fell in love with the phone! Had no issues with it up until a month ago. The first issue that I had was the "sym" button randomly popping up in mid text or email. That went away within a day or two. The current issue I have had for the past week is the ALT button and aA button randomly coming up. I have rebooted the phone numerous times, updated etc. Nothing seems to be working. Not only that, the screen lock button on the top of my phone hardly works. It is like all these buttons are stuck? Even when I am not using my phone the ALT icon appears at the top of the screen. So when i text it would look like this for an example; tHIs IS So AnNoYiNG--please note that i did not even touch the ALT button

Im very frusterated because I have heard good and bad about BB, but I have always wanted one. Now I am regretting my decision since I had ZERO problems with my previous Android phone.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: random ALT button

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Everything you are describing sounds distinctly like the degrading conditions when a BB (or any electronic device) gets wet...if that was at all possible, then

REMOVE YOUR BB BATTERY NOW!!!

Run, don't walk, to this FAQ:

Do everything it says, including waiting the maximum recommended time (longer perhaps...5 days is not at all uncommon).

Applying power to your BB between it getting wet and doing this process reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

If there is no moisture intrusion, then I'd be heading right back to my place of purchase (or other entity, depending on my contract) for warranty evaluation and possible replacement. Like all electronic devices, there can be no expectation of perfection...devices designed, built, and used by humans will always have a defect level greater than zero (you simply were luckier with your Android than you are now).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leeshab
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: rogers

Thank you very much sdgardne!

My BB has been sitting in rice for a day and a half. I do not recall it ever getting wet (never dropped it) but perhaps moisture seeped in some other way? Thank goodness I kept my old android just incase!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

There are many conditions that could cause moisture intrusion...a steamy room, very high humidity, etc. But, again, my advice was purely a guess, based on the symptoms you described. After you complete the treatment, if it continues with the same symptoms, then try Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues and there is no visible indicator of moisture damage (on the moisture sensor strips on the battery and/or inside the battery compartment), then you should probably go and see whoever provided you with device for warranty-level evaluation.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.