Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
blackpete
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

rapid battery depletion and heat!

this is a Rogers Bold, picked up on Aug 21

my battery life was getting shorter and shorter. in fact the other day it was lasting only a few hours and the unit was very hot, so something was rapidly draining the battery.

i took the battery out for 30 seconds, and replaced it and it seemed perfect. the battery a very long time, well over a day with 3 g and wifi mostly on. 

that was 3 days ago, however just now it started heating again with the battery life starting to rapidly deplete again.

i have turned the unit off and then on after 30 seconds but the unit is warm again with the battery depleting. 

so I suppose I would have to take the battery out again. 

there must be either some operation that is causing this, or the battery is possibly loose?

I would like to know what is causing this. 

thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jma78b
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold

Re: rapid battery depletion and heat!

What OS are you using? If you are using the .92 version that ran hot for me and the battery life was rubbish. Now I have the .126 version and it holds it alot better. Previously, even after I had the phone on charge all night, 5 mins after taking the plug out, it would tell me that battery life was 70%! Upgrade and I think that will sort out that problem.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
blackpete

I have the latest operating system which came already installed .126. it works perfectly well now ever since that time I took out and reinstalled the battery.

I think the other day when it was heating again and depleting the battery quickly was due to an application that continued to run as I did not close it properly. that is go to options and select close rather than escape. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
kjevans
My Device: Bold 9000

blackpete wrote:

I have the latest operating system which came already installed .126. it works perfectly well now ever since that time I took out and reinstalled the battery.

I think the other day when it was heating again and depleting the battery quickly was due to an application that continued to run as I did not close it properly. that is go to options and select close rather than escape. 

That's it exactly. It seems that a lot of the apps whether through lazy programming still run if you exit through the escape key.

It is always best to press the menu key and choose close or exit.

It would be better if when you are closing an app by the escape key that a prompt appears on the screen asking if you wish to close the program or not, a bit like windows etc..

The worst culprits for staying running seem to be the navigator apps, I would always check these first, obviously they boot the GPS up aswell causing both to be running.

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi blackPete and welcome to the forums!

From the BB database for memory and battery management and maximize life;

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14320&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
maali

folks i had this problem and discovered that the problem is not with the device software but with (u guys wont beleive tyhis unless u try the solution)...'Yahoo Go' .  Those of you who have installed or activated this Yahoo Go software, please delete it and the devicve will give you the battery life claimed by blackberry.

when i had yahoo go installed, even though i set the options so that it wasnt supposed to automatically update for emails etc, still the nasty software keeps running some sort of applicatins behind the scene and sucks on the battery.

those whodont have yahoo go software, and still have this problem, i dont know but from my experience it will be some similar software that keeps running in the background sucking on the battery.

as soon as i deleted yahoo go, the device is fine and i dont even get the battery down to 50% level in 24 hours  even though i use it quite continuously for phone, email, web....

take care

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lightspeed

I'm having this exact same problem.  It's not a 3rd party app issue either.  It started immediately after I received the device and before installing any apps.  What happens for me is that I plug in the Bold to charge it using the BB AC adapter and after a while, typically after a complete charge, the phone will stop charging, get really hot, and run the battery down to nothing within an hour.  During this time if I plug it back in it will refuse to charge.  The battery will run itself down so far that even after plugging it back in it won't have enough to power up until after about 15 mins of charging.  The only way to get it to not run itself down and re-enter charge mode is to do a ahrd reset by pulling the battery.  After it reboots it stops draining and will enter charge mode.  This happens daily and happened just last night.  The device is new - I just received it 6 days ago.  Right now it seems like it might be a defective battery.  I'm working with my carrier (AT&T) to get a replacement phone, but it's very disconcerning.  The battery actually gets so hot that I can smell burning PCB/battery and can't hold the battery when I pull it out.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ba105

Hi there,

I am having this exact same problem as well - it's just started in the last couple of days, complete with phone stopping charging, warming up and hammering through the battery in a matter of hours. Is there a recommended standard solution?

Ben 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sasikiran96
My Device: Z10 and Curve 9360
My Carrier: Rogers

I have the same problem. And I don't even have any applications running. What do I do about that?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
2paczek
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: o2

jeez thats just my issue !!!!!!!!!!!!dont want to change the phone what do i do ?help
Please use plain text.