Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

so slow, always freezing w. little spinny "wait" symbol

hi everyone,

i just got my bold literally last week and it is CONSTANTLY freezing. for anywhere from 2-about 45 seconds, whenever i try to do aNYTHING, i get that little black spinny clock icon. Even when its just sitting there and im not touching it, i get that. I get it when I try and unlock my keypad, when I try and lock it, bbming, texting, everything. What's wrong and how do i fix it?!!!

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: so slow, always freezing w. little spinny "wait" symbol

also, this is KILLING my battery. It lasts for maybe 5 hours with very limited use because its constantly struggling with itself. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

I've got the same problem recently with my phone only I've had it for about a year now.

Seemed to me that it happened just after I upgraded the OS.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

Thanks man!

I figured as much.  I've done and it does work.

Seems that ever since I've started installing more apps and leaving them running I've got to do that more often than before I had a full data plan on my phone (before was just emailing).  But it is, as you say, somewhat expected.  It would be nice, however, to see a company build in a technology that catches or assumes memory leaks and restarts apps that take over a specified amount of memory or processing for extended periods of time.  Say if the phone is holstered for 1hour it's fine to restart programs that are above predefined specifications so as to avoid the end user having to worry about restarting their phone.

But we haven't been able to achieve this with our best OS for computers so maybe it's asking too much.

Cheers

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

In comparison to PC's, BBs are very limited indeed. It is always best to close apps when you are done with them. Some apps might do things while left running that will consume your data plan capacity as well as burn your battery faster. If you don't need an app, close it fully. And, btw, closing is not accomplished by merely pressing the red or back keys...those leave it to the app to decide what happens and some apps stay open in background. The way to make sure an app closes is to click the BBKey and select Close or Exit...that forces the app to close completely and relinquish it's resources back to the OS for other uses. But, still, regular reboots are healthy...just like with PCs.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

It would be good to have a more Unix type system management system.  Process based rather than task based.

My Device: 9780 Blackberry
My Carrier: Tmobile

When my Blackberry works, it is the greatest thing.  Like a mini computer, but when it freezes and slow, it is so annoying.