Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
slam5
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: telus

sync bold 9900 with office 365

My device is a bold 9900. I'm a single person so BES doesn't apply to me. What i need is to sync 9900 with my outlook 2010 without via a cable. I like to be able to input new info (contacts and calender) in my 9900 and when i get home, my outlook will have the information input. Right now, I have to sync my 9900 with my PC at home and my laptop. Is the a solution? I'm more than glad to pay for it. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: sync bold 9900 with office 365

Hello,

Refer:

• KB31310 BlackBerry Internet Service and Microsoft Office 365 services
  • KB00561 How to configure wireless calendar synchronization on a BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB22430 How to enable or disable wireless contact synchronization with BlackBerry Internet Service

In reviewing all of those, as far as I can tell, Office 365 is not compatible with Calendar or Contacts synchronization Over The Air (OTA)...it seems to function via OWA (Outlook Web Access), which can only deal with email OTA, not Calendar or Contacts. So, there is no solution to your issue if you must use Office 365...you would have to use instead a service that does have compatibility with your BB (via BIS -- BlackBerry Internet Service).

That, of course, is only half of your issue -- the above deals solely with synchronization between the server and your BB. The other half is your need for synchronization between the server and your Outlook 2010 client...and I've no idea about Office 365's capabilities there.

If you can consider an alternative, the Outlook.com/Hotmail/Live/MSN solution might work. The Hotmail Connector plugs into Outlook and synchronizes calendar and contacts to the server. I'm pretty sure that the server is compatible with BIS for Calendar, but I'm not as sure for Contacts.

Another alternative might be a hybrid...using Outlook.com for Calendar, and perhaps Gmail for Contacts -- Google has (or at least had, I haven't checked in a while) a free connector to synchronize contacts between the Outlook client and the Google servers. And the Google servers definitely are compatible with BIS for Contacts. But, Google does not offer a free connector between the Outlook client and it's servers for Calendar -- hence, the need to use a hybrid solution.

If you were on BB10, this would be much simpler (Outlook.com is fully compatible, via the HotMail connector between the Outlook client and the server, and the BB10 device itself is fully compatible with Outlook.com for Calendar and Contacts)...sadly, with BIS, you are limited to what the BIS service is compatible with.

I don't know of any fee-based alternatives to achieve exactly what you've asked for (doesn't mean there aren't any...I just don't know of them). But, in your evaluation, I would encourage you to rethink the discounting of BES as you have done -- there are plenty of service providers out there that offer BES on a per-mailbox method...so it might actually wind up less expensive for you if you shift to a BES-providing service provider rather than attempting to make some other solutions work for your situation. Do be careful, however -- if the provider offers BES only in it's "full" mode, you'll also need to upgrade your data plan from your carrier to a BES-level plan. But, if you find a provider who offers BES-X instead, then you can use that without having to upgrade your data plan -- BES-X works via BIS data plans.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slam5
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: telus

Re: sync bold 9900 with office 365

Okay you give me some very good ideas. I only need contacts and calendars to be synced. I think my 19 night hundreds date are close at hand. I have been thinking about the q10 for a little while now. I think Blackberry should take more effort into this as a lot of professionals/businessman will switch to blackberry if this feature is readily available.
Please use plain text.