Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Contributor
new_berry
My Device: bold 9930
My Carrier: verizon
Accepted Solution

the upgrade to the latest s/w bundle left my tel (bb bold 9930) inoperable.

i ran the bb s/w update last night.  i don't remember the sw bundle level.  i selected the older of the two updates to run first.  it took the 2+ hours as prescribed.  i have tried removing the battery and entering in the wrong pw 10 times to restart the tel.  no go.  my icon's are micro sized and inaccessible.  i can't dial out and it does not receive calls anymore.

any suggestions.

thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: the upgrade to the latest s/w bundle left my tel (bb bold 9930) inoperable.

Hello,

You did not state which method (Desktop Software, AppLoader, Web, OTA, etc.) you used, but the simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

After you have completed those preparation steps, you will need the use of these tricks:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
new_berry

unfortunately i am being forced to go through company channels to resolve this.  i am interested in a possible file name that i might have to look for in note 1 of your reply.  "any bb os packages"  can you give me a description?

i will follow up to let you know the outcome.

thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
new_berry

btw,i attempted the upgrade via the OTA.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

new_berry wrote:

unfortunately i am being forced to go through company channels to resolve this.

Oh! I had no hint of that earlier...if you are on BES, then indeed you need to work with your BES admins. Some BES environments restrict the specific OS levels that they allow their devices to use, so you need to work with them.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
new_berry

corporate put me in touch with bb support with their blessing.  i was directed to use desktop mgr and directly connect my bb and initiated the latest update.  this process wiped my bb clean and reloaded the latest sw.  my bb is functioning again and i was able to restore my personal settings (except my pictures, ...not critical for me) using my backup from last week.  success!

thanks for all your help.  have a great weekend!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome. I'm glad you got it going.

It would, of course, better serve the purpose of this user-to-user community if you could expand on what they had you do...how, exactly, was it different than what I'd provided above in post 2?

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
new_berry

bb support had me connect my tel to my pc with the usb/bb cable that is normally used for recharging the bb.  i already had bb desktop software on my pc.  i logged into the desktop sw with my tel pw.  under the "device" drop down menu i selected update.  i then selected the latest sw bundle.  the process took about 60 to 70 minutes.  it performed a master reset, wiped the bb clean and loaded the latest sw bundle (7.1 bundle 2705),  my bb resumed normal operation.  i then restored my database (ring tone, background, contacts, etc. ..) by selecting restore from under the "device" drop down menu. ( my pictures did not restore.  not critical for me).  this process was under 15 minutes.  then i logged off from bb desktop software.  i hope that works for you as well as it worked for me.   good luck and remember to back up your bb.  fortunately i backed up my bb last week.

the difference between your post 2 and this process was not having to delete files from my pc

i also did not have to do the last two tricks that you had posted.

thanks again for all of our help.

have a good weekend.

Please use plain text.