Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Contributor
MaxDae
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: base, belgium

unable to detect memory card

Hello,

after having a memory problem (solved) I had the will of buying a memory card to improve my capacity.

Here I get a Transcend 16Gb for my Bold 9900.

But after wasting 2hours of my time, I am unable to detect the memory card. I tried with another card of lower capacity (2Gb) and my Bold is also unable to detect the smaller one.

Both cards works on Galaxy Gio...

I think my bold 9900 has a problem to detect any external memory card.

I looked for some update for my bold is up-to-date. (on 7.1 bundle 1149)

Thank you,

Maxime

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MaxDae

Re: unable to detect memory card

anyone ?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

Given what you've tried, it's likely a hardware issue...but this test should give you a better determination:

1. Use your memory card in another identical BB, see what happens.
  2. Obtain a "known good" memory card from another identical BB, use it in your BB and see what happens.

If the first step goes fine, but the second does not, then it's likely a hardware problem with your BB. You can further perhaps root out 3rd party app impacts via Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, if the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

If the behavior continues in Safe Mode then it's definitely a problem with the BB itself. To further narrow down you should also consider -- Is this BB on BES? If so, see your BES admins for assistance...they may perhaps be blocking the use of memory cards completely.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sanet123
My Device: Bold - 9900
My Carrier: MTN

I have the same problem, I used my sd card in a galaxy tablet. When I put it back in my 9900 the phone doesn't detect the memory card. I lost all my photo and other pictures.

Please help
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

sanet123 wrote:
I have the same problem, I used my sd card in a galaxy tablet. When I put it back in my 9900 the phone doesn't detect the memory card. I lost all my photo and other pictures.

Please help

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There is a lot posted above...please scroll up and read.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sanet123

I have inserted my memory card in another bb, my old picture are still gone but my current photo is still on the memory card. When I insert the other memory card in my 9900 its still not detecting the memory card. Does this mean I need to take my phone in for repair ? Its not even a month old!!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I've no idea what your tablet may have done to the files on your media card...if it deleted them, you might be able to recover...I've heard of recovery software (for PC) that can work on SD cards. I don't recall any names, though.

As for what is wrong, what you say indicates that the BB is indeed at fault. It may or may not be hardware, but as only a 1-month old device, it's not worth your time I'd think to try and self-diagnose anything. Hence, taking it in for formal evaluation would I think be your best bet.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sanet123

Thank you, I will try tomorrow I really don't want to be without a phone over the christmas period. May they can help while I wait.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MaxDae

sdgardne wrote:

Hello,

Given what you've tried, it's likely a hardware issue...but this test should give you a better determination:

1. Use your memory card in another identical BB, see what happens.
  2. Obtain a "known good" memory card from another identical BB, use it in your BB and see what happens.

Dear sdgardne, 

first of all thank you for your complete help.

As you first said, I tried out this memory card on another bold 9900 which had a 2Gb memory card inside working nicely. I tried my 16Gb in this other bold, it didnt recognize my memory card unfortunately.

Unlikely, I don't have another bold 9900 around me at this time, but I tried a memory card 2Gb working on Galaxy Gio into my bold 9900. It did work successfully sadly.

So after trying my 16Gb on another phone, it doens't work succesfully, trying a 2gb on my phone doesn't work succesfully neither.

sdgardne wrote:

If the first step goes fine, but the second does not, then it's likely a hardware problem with your BB. You can further perhaps root out 3rd party app impacts via Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

I tried this attempt in the Safe Mode. I started the sequence with the memory card in my bold. I started the bold in Safe Mode and went into the parameters to check terminal>storage info (whatever I just translated the path in french). But the memory card isn't working, it does not being recognize by this bold!

sdgardne wrote:

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

Good luck and let us know!

Here I don't follow you, I don't understand what you mean by "OS bare bones".

thank you!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Loading the OS "bare bones" means leaving off anything that is optional, then adding things slowly and one at a time...just as the steps describe. But, before we go there, let's finish with everything I previously recommended...you did not mention anything about if this device is BES or not...you can check here:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

I also don't think I asked this quite clearly -- but is this totally new behavior? Has any media card ever worked in this BB?

Thanks and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.