Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

NiallFry1996
My Device: bold 9870

updating to v 7.1.0 need help quickly!!!

i have updated the version but then it went onto backing up the phone and it froze on the social feeds, i have removed the battery and restarting the phone and have tried everything i can think of, could i have some solutions please, asap

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: updating to v 7.1.0 need help quickly!!!

Hi there,

Try using the Desktop Software to clear your Social Feeds database entry. To do this, you'll want to click on the Device button on the top left in the Desktop Software, then select "Delete Data". Once you're in this section, select the entry for Social Feeds and delete the data for that entry.

You should now be able to proceed with the OS upgrade. If you still have problems, let us know as there is another set of instructions that can help you get by it.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Is this an over-the-air (OTA) update or is this occurring when connected to the Desktop Manager on your computer?

If it's an OTA update then I'm not sure you'll be able to help it along with Desktop manager.

Often times waiting it out will allow it to finish. Sometimes it takes up to 24 hours and will finally finish on its own. If it doesn't then we'll need to help you reload the OS fresh...this will result in a loss of your personal data unless you have a backup with Desktop Manager or BBProtect so we want to leave that as a last resort.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Thorswhu
My Device: Bold 9930

I have the same problem. I give up. How can I reload the OS fresh?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2. It doesn't hurt to try to do a manual backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. You can get BlackBerry Desktop Software here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

3. Download the OS file from step 1 to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." Also check the following locations for vendor.xml files and delete any instances of the file:

On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

5. Use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup, if you can) then after you get the error 507 (no OS installed) then proceed to next step.

6. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

7.  Restore your backup, if available. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Thorswhu
My Device: Bold 9930

I used your advice below from a previous thread and gave it one last shot and got it work!

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.

Thanks John

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Awesome!
Please use plain text.