Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Singtel

warranty problem: moved to singapore with brand new US bold 9900

Hi,

my blackberry bold froze and now won't start anymore! I took out the battery and put it in again, then the red led is lit up for like 5 seconds then goes off and that's it.

I want to send it in for repairation or warranty but I have a problem: I bought it in the United States (Boston, T-Mobile USA store at Harvard Square) and the BB site says for warranty in singapore im supposed to contact my service provider - thats Singtel but I only have a prepaid card from them! 

Isnt there like a global black berry manufacturer warranty or something? What should I do?

Thanks heaps.
Max

Hall of Famer II
My Device: PRIV (5.1.1), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: warranty problem: moved to singapore with brand new US bold 9900

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Before we get into warranty...and because that's going to be especially challenging for you...here are some things you can try yourself...

maxxigr wrote:

my blackberry bold froze and now won't start anymore! I took out the battery and put it in again, then the red led is lit up for like 5 seconds then goes off and that's it.

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

maxxigr wrote:

I want to send it in for repairation or warranty but I have a problem: I bought it in the United States (Boston, T-Mobile USA store at Harvard Square) and the BB site says for warranty in singapore im supposed to contact my service provider - thats Singtel but I only have a prepaid card from them! 

Isnt there like a global black berry manufacturer warranty or something? What should I do?

Now, to your challenging warranty situation.

BlackBerry provides zero front line support to end users, including warranty (so to answer your question about global warranty...the answer to that is "no")...all support starts with the carriers, authorized resellers, and authorized service centers, all who can escalate cases into BlackBerry at no charge to the end user.

Warranty service is a function of your original purchase contract, which is between you and whoever the direct (to you) seller of the device was (which was not BlackBerry). In some regions, you must return to your original place of purchase for warranty service. In other regions, there are service centers for this function. If the original place of purchase happens to be the mobile service provider, then that might be the correct place. 

Moving between regions, as you have done, is where the real challenge arises. If, for example, your original purchase agreement (from TMO in Boston) stated that your warranty coverage required you to return your BB to TMO-US, then that remains binding, even though you now live in beautiful Singapore. The terms of warranty do not change when the user decides to move from one region to another. So, what you must do is dig out your original purchase documentation and see what it says for your warranty coverage...and that may well mean sending it back to TMO-US.

There also might be some good reading here:

Good luck!

Get your 15% discount at ShopBlackBerry.com! Click Here for details.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.