Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

marijones
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Virgin

water damage

Hi,

Last week a drink spilled on my blackberry bold 9790 and i didnt notice for a very long time (it was in a bag). I did all of the wrong things without realising it - tried to switch phone on, took it all apart to dry out then kept re-checking it. I then googled it and put the phone and battery in rice for 5 days, without touching it again. I realise my phone is probably dead but I have a few questions to make sure.

1. The water damage sticker on battery is red, which I have read means that it's water damaged. Where is the sticker on the phone itself? Is there any chance that a new battery would solve the issue?

2. If I try to switch my phone on now nothing happens to the screen but the keyboard lights do light up and also the red led light at the top comes on. Just wondering if this means there's any life left in it!

My husband has the exact same phone so I was wondering whether trying his battery in my phone would be worth a try or will my phone somehow ruin his battery?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
elllie
My Device: BOLD 9900
My Carrier: TESCO

Re: water damage

Leave it out to dry maybe try using a hair dryer but do not put a different battery back in it will ruin it. if this doesnt work you may need to pay to have it properly repaired :Yes: i hope it works out well

Ellie

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,841
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

The water damage sticker on the phone itself is normally inside the battery housing area, remove the battery and look for a small 1/8th" square sticker.

Yes, you can try your husband's battery in your phone. if you've dried it out for 5 days in dry rice you should be dry, however it it was soda (coke, etc), that will leave a bit of sticky residue which can further damage the device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

To expand on elllie's reply, NEVER use a hair dryer to dry out a phone and/or battery that's had water damage. You risk blowing moisture deeper into the unit and ruining it. Always let the affected pieces dry in a bag of rice for 4-5 days first.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.