Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook; z10 & Love it!
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

wifi & mobile network Q

If I turn on my home wifi & sign into it, & at the same time, leave Mobile Network on... which of these will the data charges run off of?  Will the Mobile Network win out or does it share or just use wifi?

Also wondering because I wonder if turning on work wifi when I get to work, saves my data & runs off theirs lol

TIA!!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: wifi & mobile network Q

[ Edited ]

Hello,

In general, BBs will "prefer" WiFi over the carrier data network for BIS services. You can always check, inside of Manage Connections > Services Status, what pathway BIS is using.

But, you also have to check inside of apps...many 3rd party apps have configuration items, inside the app, that allow you to direct the app to use one data channel versus another. What I always do is direct my apps to use BIS...that way, they will follow along as BIS shifts between WiFi and my carrier data network. But, if (e.g.) you configure an app to only use your carrier data network, then that app may well avoid following BIS when BIS shifts to WiFi, and that app may well continue to consume data off of your carrier data network connection, even though BIS has shifted to WiFi.

With older OS levels, you had no choice but to leave "Data Services" set to "on" no matter what channel you wanted to use, which often caused the situation described above (BIS on WiFi, but some app consuming carrier data)...turning off Data Services, on those older OS levels, turned BIS-level Data off for ALL Channels, including WiFi. With later OS levels (somewhere in the OS7 range, as I recall), you can actually turn off the Data Services setting and leave WiFi on...which allows BIS to still function over WiFi, but prevents any app from using the carrier data network no matter how the app is configured.

But...I am curious...you are asking about features that only work on BB SmartPhones, yet your profile on this site says you have only a PlayBook, in which case none of this applies since the PB has no mobile radio and has only WiFi. But, you posted this in the Bold section of this site, so one could I suppose assume that you have a Bold in addition to your PB...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor

Thank you for all of that info.!

I guess I need to update my profile because I now have a Bold 9900 :Clap:

I was asking because I find, to save battery, I turn wifi off & on, constantly!   Leave home, turn it off.  Get to work, turn it on.  Turn if off in my office because I'm in a little pocket which doesn't quite reach a connection :No: .. turn if on if I go for break lol... back off when I come back.  & back on when I get home.  Because, in between those places, if wifi is on with no nearby connection, it searches & searches, can't connect & wastes my battery in less than a day :smileysad:

So, I thought, if this is not using the wifi when I do have it on, (instead of using my Carrier), than I'm wasting my time turning this off & on, & should just leave it off.  Then I thought.. if I leave it off, am I missing opportunity to use wifi when it's available & save data off the Carrier.  So, I really didn't know how it all worked.

I also think.. am not too sure.. but it seems all these apps waste battery to, even if you are not in the app.  I'm not sure how or why that happens.

I don't have a ton of apps but the few I've checked, I see no way in any of them, to direct them to one over the other but am glad to hear they will prefer wifi over carrier! 

My husband just got a Bold 9900 from work & I think he's going to be miffed at how quickly the battery dies lol. 

On a side note:  I wish there was a way to log out of e-mail because I don't always want to pull it in. 

Again, thank you so much.  That was most helpful!

Hall of Famer II

You are very welcome...but a few more clarifications.

There are apps that will attempt to automate what you are doing with the WiFi radio...they are designed for exactly what you describe. The best apps work by keeping a log of cell towers that are accessed while you are using a particular WiFi SSID...if the BB is "on" a cell tower that has been previously logged as "in range" of one of your SSID's, the app turns the WiFi radio on...and, when on a cell tower that is not previously logged as in range, it turns the WiFi radio off. Typically, though, just having the WiFi radio "on" doesn't consume much battery power...it consumes the bulk of it's power when in range of a configured SSID...if not in range, the WiFi radio is pretty passive, waiting until it "sees" an SSID that it recognizes. Not zero power, of course, but pretty passive.

You are correct about apps consuming power -- but, actually, it's more than that. Every app that is installed consumes resources -- memory, power, bandwidth, etc. How much each consumes can be seen inside of the Application Management app on BB's with a new enough OS. If your BB OS has that feature, you can watch your apps over time and see if there is a particular culprit. Some apps are simply poorly written and consume more resource than they should.

Email is very difficult to disable...but the way it is configured, it's OK. BB email is true PUSH from the standpoint of the BB itself. BB email is not ActiveSync, where there is a full on-device email client that actually polls the email server for "stuff to do", and that act of polling consumes resources even when there is "nothing to do". BBs on the other hand use the carrier/RIM hosted BIS (or corporate BES) service...those services do that polling of the email servers for "stuff to do". If those services find nothing on the server that needs to be pushed to the BB, then no traffic to the BB is generated at all, and therefore the act of polling for "stuff to do" consumes nothing on the BB.

I honestly think that, when you dig deeper, you will discover that email is not your resource consumption culprit. Rather, you will discover that something else is...WiFi may perhaps be a minor culprit, but there are apps to automate turning the WiFi radio on and off. You should further investigate your BlueTooth and GPS radios...like WiFi, they will consume something when active, even if not in range of any other device with which to "do something".

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor

It seems to be wifi related.  When I was not turning the wifi off & on I was going through the battery before my work day was even complete!  (& I don't have a charger here.)  Once I started turning it off when I was going out of range of wifi, and back on when back in range, the battery would last the full day.  It's bad enough the battery lasts only 1 day when I am hardly using the phone. But to keep turning wifi off & on, manually, in order to save battery power, that is SUCH a pain in the behind!

I will try your suggestion to look for some app that will turn the wifi off on on.  However, I'm not very good at searching the app world lol.  Not much I enter into the search comes up.. .the few apps I've gotten, I ended up having to go directly to the app's web site to d/l it directly from the companying offering the app.

Really poor quality for battery life on these things.  Really can't make it through 3/4's of a day before the battery has run out... BB really needs to do somthing about that.

Hall of Famer II

The app I liked best, when I needed that, was called SmartWiFi, from S4BB Limited, available in AppWorld. I have no idea if they have ported it to your model/OS level or not.

Please understand that there is no "normal" for battery life. Each person has a unique set of apps, usage patterns, etc. that defines what is "normal to you". But that may not be normal for anyone else. Too many variables go into how long the battery lasts (e.g., amount of voice usage, amount of data usage, signal strength, etc.). So the trick is to understand what is "normal to you" and then notice when things deviate from that...for that is the time to consider looking into what may have changed on your BB to cause the deviation.

Also, be watching for OS updates...especially with newer devices, one can expect variations with OS levels. It is completely known that some of the most new OS levels may well cause memory and/or battery excessive usage. Some folks fall back to older OS levels if it becomes intolerable.

For me, I settled on having many chargers...one at each place of work, one in each car, one in my backpack at all times. At one point, I even had two spare batteries that I always tried to rotate (so as to keep them all fully charged). It is very normal to need to charge every night...that is one of the only "normal for all" things that I'd think can apply. Less than that will delve into that individual unique usage pattern territory.

Also consider your battery itself...a defective battery is certainly not out of the question. Further, be sure to take care of your battery...unlike older technologies, these batteries do not like to be drained. Doing so can actually damage them, eventually rendering them useless. If, as you say, you've drained it several times, then that as well could be causal to your situation...but, again, that depends on what is "normal for you".

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor

I think it's running normally. When the phone was brand new & I had not added any apps, & I had wifi on by default, the battery was not lasting. When I learned a bit more & turned the wifi off & on, I get longer use out of it. Just sitting here all day, doing nothing, it shouldn't run out of battery that quickly.

I also uninstalled the gps, unfortunately. I found that to be 1 thing killing the battery & I could't log out of it.

One other item which drains the battery, as I understand it, is the ... location? I believe it's called. But I'm not turning that off since, for safety, it can be used to track me if ever needed :smileyvery-happy:

Super Contributor

"was called SmartWiFi" I will look for that! Thank you
Super Contributor

P.S. my gosh do you ever know a lot!
Hall of Famer II

GPS indeed uses power...tracking the satellites is indeed a bit of work. But, if you keep "Location Aiding" on (that's what the item you were thinking of is called), that actually uses GPS...but if you don't use a GPS nav app, then your resource consumption will indeed be lower. GPS nav apps use a lot...after all, they must 1) read from all of the satellites and 2) pull data to adjust the maps as you travel and 3) process all of that...indeed intense...oh, and navigating keeps the screen on all the time, and the screen is one of the biggest power draws of the entire device.

PS (reply) -- thanks! I've had good mentors around here!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates