Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Bold™

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

wifi and aplications...

Hi there.

Is there any way to force an aplication to use just wifi or nothing?

thanks

Re: wifi and aplications...

I can't help you, but would like to know the answer!  I can't get the browser to use WiFi. Even though I'm connected to a WiFi network, when I turn off the 3G telephone connection, the browser won't work. I have a Telstra Blackberry 9000. Did they disable some functionality so that we have to use and pay for the telephone network data connection?
Developer
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

You can disable the use of use of data over the cellular network.  You'd still be able to send/receive phone calls, but no data would be exchanged.

You might be able to do it using IT policy.  It would make sense for enterprises to have that ability.

Other than that, the apps themselves need to be writen to only use WiFi.  There's an option developers can set when establishing a network connection ("interface=wifi").  This option will force a WiFi connection.

earl 

Earl Oliver
Developer
My Device: You wish.

Depending on if you are talking about using WiFi to avoid carrier charges or for a direct TCP call there are things to consider. As was noted an app can be coded to have WiFi as a connection option but some apps haven't added it yet.

If you want to use only the WiFi browser you will have to change it to your default browser in Options > General Configuration > Default Browser.

Contributor

By your last comment about changing the default browser, am I correct in understanding this to mean that you can use your Bold to access the Internet via wifi when needed, but must make the alteration you describe to do so?  If that's the case, though not ideally efficient it would be great for those times one is in outlying areas away from a reliable cell phone network and want to use either the phone or use it tethered to your laptop to gain internet access.  Any thoughts on this?

I'd really like to know how to use WiFi for my browser and to sync my emails (and for Skype too, if that's possible) to avoid international data and phone roaming charges.  At the moment, my browser and email only use WLAN, so I have to pay data charges.  I'm a personal user, and want to minimise my call and data charges when I'm overseas.  I recently paid $6/minute in Italy for phone airtime!  I'd appreciate your help.

PS - Can I set up a separate browser to use WiFi?  Opera Mini?

Developer

If you want to force it to use WiFi you can change the browser. If you punch in a non routable IP address (read non routable from the perspective of the current default browser be it BES/BlackBerry or BIS/Internet) it should automagically switch for you. Non routable also doesn't mean no network coverage although that seems like a valid feature that is missing to me...
New Contributor

hallo,

thanks viverant . my first problem is fixed.

i changed the browser in the general options to "Hot-SPOT-Browser" and now hthe blackberry use the wifi.

the wifi sign is allready grey NOT WHITE.... but it works.

I just have the problem with sync-ml services..... with my iphone this service used always the wi-fi if posible.....

but the blackberry bold use always umts/gprs/edge over tzhe telefonprovider (vodafone germany)

can you help???

Developer

Sounds like Sync-ML isn't developed to use WiFi on the BlackBerry yet. I would go back to the vendor and ask them when they plan to implement this in their application.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for your support....