Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
TrpD345
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

(1) Message Icon at top of phone?

My wife has the message icon at the top of her phone and I can't make it go away?  It shows a (1) next to her email, (1) in her messages icon but there is nothing there?  Her email and SMS/MMS is combined, I have tried seperating them, but still can not find it.  I have checked saved messages also.  It drives her crazy seeing it there and not seeing a message.  Can you help?
New Contributor
Curve8350i

Curve 8350i - Erroneous new email message indicator [Re: (1) Message Icon at top of phone?]

My Curve 8350i has the same problem. Normally it works good, but once a week or so the new email message indicator gets stuck. it shows a new email message even though all messages are deleted. I have to do a hard reset (pull the battery out of Blackberry) to clear this. Can anyone share a better solution?

In my current theme the SMS/MMS messages are separated from the email message inbox.

I'm using the latest Blackberry OS version available from Nextel - platform 3.0.0.73, application version 4.6.1.204, and also the latest Blackberry Desktop Manager. Primarily I get email messages from work (Blackberry Enterprise Server), but also have associated additional POP email accounts.

Please help! 

Forums Veteran I
drizzt09
My Device: 8320 / 9530

Re: Curve 8350i - Erroneous new email message indicator [Re: (1) Message Icon at top of phone?]

you could try a resettofactory, but you would have to be running DTM 4.7(which is the latest)

once DTM 4.7 is installed, do a backup, then close DTM

open start-run-cmd

type:

cd c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

enter

type:

loader.exe /resettofactory

enter

after monitor it for awhile, if not reoccuring, then restore your backup

JSanders
Solutions: 5,988
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: (1) Message Icon at top of phone?

I think a reset to factory settings is a bit drastic, there are several things to do and/or check first:

Try these options:

* Hard Reset the BlackBerry by holding ALT, CAP (right Shift key), and DEL (or pulling out and reinserting the battery)

* View Messages > Saved Messages

* View Messages > View Folders, check each folder (missed calls, SMS in and out boxes, MMS in and out boxes, Saved, browser, phone logs etc)

* Scroll to top of message folder, over the date heading, click or press menu to MARK PRIOR OPEN

* Change your theme and see if it persists, and change back to your desired theme. (Options > Theme > select.)

* Wipe and reload your OS. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
cathlabnurse
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Welc:smileyhappy:me to the supp:smileyhappy:rt f:smileyhappy:rums!

I just helped someone at work today with this same problem and it was a missed call.  jsanders has described how to find that and many others ! 

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: Nurse-Berry :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Well, I'm thankful for the ideas, but maybe not so fast, Addicted Nurseberry.

Unfortunately, the proposed solutions didn't work in my case.

I checked all the folders on my phone and applied "Mark as Read" on them, but the erroneous new message count on my phone remained.  I know this false message indicator is associated with my main (BES) email account, because the tip "1 New Message" pops up when that Inbox is highlighted. My SMS/MMS inbox is separate, and does not pop up any messages.

As I have mentioned, doing a hard reset always clears the error, but that is only a symptom relief--the problem is not fixed. I'm also skeptical about the ResetToFactory option. Would it be much different from the hard reset? Will it fix the message counting algorithm for good? This rather seems like a bug that needs to be reported to the BB OS developers.

Thanks for any other ideas.

Forums Veteran I
drizzt09
My Device: 8320 / 9530

resettofactory does alot more than just a hardreset

another option would be a reinstall of the OS, since none of the minor fixes work for you

cokoroach
My Device: BB 8350i

Same thing happened to me.

Open up "Messages"

Not SMS or MMS Messages, you must open the folder called "Messages"

Look for the missed calls

You must actually click on the missed call.

The message icon goes away.

It works

sw13644
My Device: 8900

It took me a while to find how to do this.

Search (blackberry button)

Change Show to Unopened Only

Change type to all

Search (blackberry button)

trackball

There they are, all those missed calls... touch them and they disappear and all is fine.

Visitor
barbaracapps
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

I've have my phone 2 months already and I have to go in and delete every item in this message folder individually--------that's gonna take forever!  How would one delete all with one fell swoop??

Barbara