Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
robbiejasper
My Device: curve 3920

3920 can not email

i have a 3920 which worked fine then had to change to Orange .FR contract  sim as staying in france for about a year  so they set it up in store  for me and every thing works apart from email,   can not send or recieve , wi fi ok can browse ok but email set up says no connection, please can any one offer help  dont want to have to go to store again as my french not good and they are so busy had to wait 2 hrs to be told to come back   have looked  on this site for various options  but nothing  seems to work

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: 3920 can not email

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There's nothing to add to your BB per se. Using the BB-specific services is a matter of your carrier providing those to you. And there are some things that must happen for them to do so.

Also...you keep saying "3920"...to my knowledge, that is not a valid BB model number...can you check again please?

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of the operating system on a BlackBerry smartphone

Any BB can be used on any carrier that runs the same radio frequencies that the BB is capable of (and I've no idea if your's are such). But, to bring a BB onto a carrier network that they did not sell to you, there are several hurdles to cross:

1) The carrier must say "yes" to the fact...they own their network and have every right to say what devices will be allowed to connect to it. If they say "no", then that's the end of it.

2) You must be sure that your BB is properly unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier...see this helpful thread for details:

3) You must get all of your voice level services functioning on the carrier, before you even try anything about data

4) You must subscribe, from the carrier, to an adequate data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services you desire

5a) If the carrier directly supports your specific model BB, then you can proceed with registering the BB onto their network, generating the proper Service Book delivery to your BB, and proceeding to function.

5b) But, if the carrier does not directly support your specific model number of BB, then the challenges are much greater as most carrier systems will not deliver, to the BB, the necessary service books to enable the BB-proprietary data services, even if you do subscribe to them.

So, depending on all of that, your BB may or may not ever fully function on that carrier network. It can be quite tricky to accomplish, especially if 5b applies. So take a look at all of that and decide how you wish to proceed. Most folks wind up just buying a new BB if 5b applies.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
robbiejasper
My Device: curve 3920

Re: 3920 can not email sorry 9320 mis typed in haste

i have had  all the emails  saying that we are connected  and it worked fine when put a  pre pay sim in it  provided by Orange .FR.  it is just that now a contract sim (same provider) the email will not work,  nor will BBM  thought it was a time thing  as BB, somtiemes takes a little time to register  but  its been 3 days now  so would have thought all should have gone through ok,  my other bb cell phone  worked straight away so not sure why this one wont  and on same contract  and router  etc  so please any suggestions  as to why email wont function  would be helpful  the error message  just says  no connection  try again ?   but there is  a connection as can browse and use other forms of messaging such as 'whats app'  at  loss as to  what to do now  .

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: 3920 can not email sorry 9320 mis typed in haste

robbiejasper wrote:

i have had  all the emails  saying that we are connected  and it worked fine when put a  pre pay sim in it  provided by Orange .FR.

Oh! That is quite different from what you said in your first post! In which case you can totally ignore what I said earlier, as that does not apply...if you could get full BB services from Orange via one plan, then there is no reason you should not be able to via another plan from them.

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your configurations for the affected email accounts. Otherwise, you will have to contact your mobile service provider for formal support...only they can look at their systems to figure out why your BB could interact with their network earlier, but no longer can now.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code