Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Gibman
My Device: Curve 9360
Accepted Solution

7.1.0 1133 Bundle O2 Update failure

Hi

I was recently notified of the above update on my phone. I accepted the update and scheduled the actual update process at 2.00am in the morning to ensure the phone was a) on charge and b) not likely to get a call!

I awoke to a phone alternating between the red LED coming on, a flash of the Blackberry start logo appearing on the screen.

I subsequently plugged it into the PC and tried in various combinations:

1) Using the DM to load the 7.1 bundle directly

2) Using the loader.exe /nojvm (connects, goes through the loading process but is unable to "connect to the JVM")

3) Wiping with BBSAK (unable to connect)

4) Wiping/assessing with JL_cmder (no real feedback from the app - no logs)

I have tried the various combinations of battery removal and PC disconnection prior to the JVM connections and retries to no avail.

I have a full backup, so have no reall concerns about losing any data, but it is VERY frustrating.

Any advice please?

Martin

JohnDrennan

Re: 7.1.0 1133 Bundle O2 Update failure

I have exactly the same problem with the same update...... Phone just keeps restarting, tried loading into safe mode which doesnt seem to load either :-(

Please help!!!

John

Forums Advisor III
iansantos
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 OS Leaked 10.2.0.1725 | STL100-2

Pull out the battery and plug your BlackBerry to your PC until battery icon appeared and reinsert the battery. Or Remove the battery, plug your BlackBerry in your PC and fire up DM or Loader and try to update. While loading reinsert the battery.

Hope it helps. 

Good luck!

Please thank those who help you by clicking the button.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution"

New Contributor
Gibman

Already tried - no joy, sadly.

New Contributor
Gibman

Think I may have a solution to those of you out there with the same problem as me.

I bought an extended capacity battery, and it seems when the new OS goes on, the unit no longer sees the larger capacity battery.

Found out when I inserted the old battery to return the unit for repair - all of a sudden, got through to an error 507, but was able to go through the loader.exe /nojvm procedure (with battery removed until initialisation), then popped in the old battery and "hey presto" - she lives again!

Forums Advisor III
iansantos
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 OS Leaked 10.2.0.1725 | STL100-2

Nice job! 

Please thank those who help you by clicking the button.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution"

New Contributor
Bgeesmalls
My Device: 9360 curve

So basically we must not do software upgrades by ourselves right? Why have this option if it causes so much misery to up grade. Im beyond disgruntled! I have to fork money for the repairs troublshooting is not helping! it says backing up files and stops on social feeds. How will it back up social feeds if it automatically shuts off BIS, hence no network? Does that even make sense? I dont want to be dishing out money for an upgrade may as well get a new phone with less stress. Someone tell me what to do, phone is barely a month old :smileysad:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Bgeesmalls wrote:

So basically we must not do software upgrades by ourselves right? Why have this option if it causes so much misery to up grade. Im beyond disgruntled! I have to fork money for the repairs troublshooting is not helping! it says backing up files and stops on social feeds. How will it back up social feeds if it automatically shuts off BIS, hence no network? Does that even make sense? I dont want to be dishing out money for an upgrade may as well get a new phone with less stress. Someone tell me what to do, phone is barely a month old :smileysad:

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please understand that RIM does not control the release of ANY OS to end users. The carriers (e.g., Vodacom, as per your profile here) are 100% in control of that process. And, they further are in control as to if they will offer it wirelessly to their users or require their users to use other means.

Personally, I never recommend the wireless update method...it's just too dangerous. That method takes an on-device backup, from which it restores after the update completes. But, if anything should go wrong during the process, that backup file is lost forever...along with all user data...not a good outcome. Hence, I always recommend a tethered (USB) method for performing any and all BB OS updates. Recently, there have been quite a lot of problems with the OTA updates and some drastic methods have been devised with which to attempt recovery of the resulting "bricked" BBs.

RIM (and others) has provided perfectly usable methods for end users to update their BB OS, needing no assistance whatsoever in most cases (TBH, some users do "get lost" with the process, and need additional assistance...which the volunteers on this site are perfectly willing to give). If you would like information about that, all you need to is ask.

I do wish that the carriers would never use the OTA update method...but, alas, there simply are too many of them for my meager pleas to be of any use whatsoever.

Now, as for the one issue you do report, these KBs are available:

• KB29571 Unable to backup the Social Feeds database using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac
  • KB29522 "Error backing up databases" message is generated at Smart Card Options database when backing up the BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Bgeesmalls
My Device: 9360 curve

sO WHAT MUST i DO? NONE OF THE THINGS YOU SAID WORKED. ZERO! Nothing...nada...no progress. I actually think am killing the battery for nothing because theres nothing happening but battery is hot.

This is the case, upon rebooting it gots straight to backing up. My desktop software is not even responding. Im frustrated. Again does any one have a stress free phone to recommend because this is almost the last starw. Im glad RIM is dying! I dont deserve to feel like this by a small little object. My whole life is on pause. Any1 with help that will work PLEASE save me or am slitting my wrists!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Goodness...you are indeed frustrated, aren't you. You do realize, though, that I'm just another user, "out there", who happens to be willing to volunteer some of my free time to try and give you some assistance? I can't be expected to be responsible for all that ails RIM, now can I? Isn't that just a tad unreasonable? Further, if you keep yelling at me, my willingness to help you may well decline.

In any event, now that I understand your situation a little better (the level of detail you've so far provided still leaves a lot of room to have to guess), there are two methods of recovery for you to try:

(Credit JSanders)

One:

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.
  • If this does not work, and you remain stuck on the backing up the Social Feeds database, go to the second method below.

Secondly:

• Start your BlackBerry in Safe mode.  Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Modehttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877
  • Connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later.
  • IF you cannot connect or your Desktop Software does not recognize your device while in Safe Mode, please follow the directions here to force the detect:  Article ID: KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. 
  • Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code