Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
JNNili
My Device: Curve 8310

8310 8gb card problem

I just purchased the 8310 and got an 8gb chip as well to put inside.

The chip was recognized by windows but it asked me to format it, so i formatted it within the blackberry itself.  now it is recognized in both windows and the blacbkerry, but is listed as 3.6 gb.  what can I do?

1 - can my card be formatted once again at 8gb?

2 - can my phone OS be updated so that it is compatable with the 8gb?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 8310 8gb card problem

If you have a 4.2 OS, (Options|About), then you can only support 4gb.  I don't know if there is a 4.3 update for your Model yet, you will have to check the RIM web site.  If not, there will be a new release of the OS that will support a larger card.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Max. Media Support depends on the version of device software you're using. Check the following Info -

BlackBerry Device Software                         Media Card Size Limit

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0                         Up to 2GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1                         Up to 4GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2                         Up to 4GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0                         Up to 8GB

You can regain 8GB by formatting memory cardusing your desktop or card reader.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JNNili

[ Edited ]

I had read somewhere that formatting the card through windows makes the card un-readable by the blackberry. is this true?

and when I insert the card into my computer (windows xp), i don't have the option to format under anything other than the 3.6 gig option.

also, i am using the newest desktop software.  However, i didn't see any options to transfer music over using it, so i simply copy and pasted songs frmo my hard drive onto the f drive in the music subfolder. 

Message Edited by JNNili on 04-22-2008 11:43 AM
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What version of Handheld OS are you using?  Options|About.  That is what determines how big of a card you can use.  If you have OS version 4.2, then you could put in a gazillionbit card and the phone will only see 4gb.

You may also need updated drivers for your Windows if you cannot format more than 4gb . 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JNNili

Problem solved!

I took the card out, put it in my roomates mac and he formatted it to the 8gb form.  however, before i formatted it, i saved the blacbkerry folder, and copied it to the desktop.  After I formatted the card, I copied the blacbkerry folder back to the blackberry and copied the songs over.  it worked fine and now i've got all my music on there :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your help. 

Please use plain text.