Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8320 GPS

I am new to the blackberry so I hope I do not seem made with this question.
I would like to use my maps facility but it appears that the GPS is not working. Under options I have looked at the GPS setting and it says Data Source - None with no option to select anything else. I was under the impression that the 8320 has its own GPS device and does not require an external source, am I wrong?
As far as I am aware my service provider has supplied all of the service books to make everything work (all internet and mail etc)
Any help would be greatly received
Contributor

Re: 8320 GPS

I have learned (Using Support within T-Mobile web site) that GPS is not supported by (T-Mobile) and a GPS "puck" is required to fully use GPS satellite technology.

From T-Mobile "Support" web site (verbatim): "The handheld does not contain an embedded GPS radio. In order to use GPS mapping on the handheld, you need to obtain a separate GPS puck and connect it to your BlackBerry via Bluetooth®." 

Of course, this requires buying the Bluetooth GPS puck. Also, I can only speak for T-Mobile, my carrier/provider.

Hope this helps! 

Hi,

I own a 8320 too (Provider is Orange) and can confirm that this model (in the UK at Least) does not have an integral GPS receiver. However, you don't have to buy a blackberry branded receiver, any GPS receiver with a Bluetooth function should work. I already had a receiver that came with TOM TOM software for a Palm T3 PDA, that worked fine.

I tried Orange SAT NAV (seven day free trial) which, although it did the job, was very slow to recalculate a route if I decided to deviate from the suggested route or inadvertently took a wrong direction. This is because there are no maps stored on the blackberry, maps are downloaded as required over the mobile phone network as required, so a deviation of the original route meant a new download. I found this very frustrating as I live in London where it is very easy to take a turning too early and where there are many poor signal areas due to tall buildings etc. I guess it would be fine in more rural areas where there is less likelihood of these issues.

Have you tried Google Maps? It is not a GPS system but is capable of producing a detailed map and directions and you do not require a separate GPS receiver.

Good luck

Gary

Visitor
My Device: CURVE 8320

Re: 8320 GPS (T-Mobile Service provider)

T-Mobile, 8320 and GPS.

With this combination as indicated a puc will be required. Also the BlackBerry unlimited

data plan;($19.99), will be necessary. The unlimited BB plan appears to open a gate way which T-Mobile blocks with it"s basic unlimited data plan;($9.99). ie, Firewalled, using T-Mobile basic data plan as attempting to set up Live Search Maps, some reference will be made. ( I also tried Yahoo Maps, Google Maps, ect. Thought maybe a glitch of some sort. NOT SO, only the service released by T-Moble's unlimited basic data plan.

I've yet to upgrade plan to persue this combination, but I will soon. Could advise of success or failure.

Read the notes associated with the little astreks * * * *

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

[ Edited ]

Andrew0418 wrote:
I was under the impression that the 8320 has its own GPS device and does not require an external source, am I wrong?

You're wrong.

• 8300 = GSM + GPRS + EDGE
  • 8310 = 8300 + GPS
  • 8320 = 8300 + Wi-Fi
  • 8330 = 8300 + CDMA + Ev-DO
Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-08-2008 09:48 AM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Great answer Xandrex!  Just a slight correction:

• 8300 = GSM + GPRS + EDGE
  • 8310 = 8300 + GPS
  • 8320 = 8300 + Wi-Fi
  • 8330 = 8310 + CDMA + Ev-DO + Video Recording (!)

(the 8330 has GPS, although I think Verizon has it shut down unless you buy a GPS service!)

Check out this link.

Jerry