Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8320

8320 error SEH reset

Hi all, i have just got a new curve 8320 took it out of the box this morning, fired it up and all good, then suddenly screen went white and an error showing the following "SEH reset frequency violated, RESET" so i prees the button and it resets only for this screen to pop up agin in a fews minutes. Any ideas what it could be?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: 8320 error SEH reset

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

That's a new one...I've never seen that error, nor can I find any reference in the public KBs to it:

I therefore recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Given that your device is brand new, you also may just want to take it back to your place of purchase for evaluation. It could also be your SIM card I suppose...you should inquire as to a replacement.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Ok i have done the booting into safemode thing, and it still did it. the exact same error message. I am presuming the only thing to do is to return the phone?

Hall of Famer II

Well, no, there is a lot more that I listed up there. Basically you have a choice to make, and only you can make it. You can continue to try self-diagnostics (guided by us is you prefer) to see if you can figure out what is going on, or you can take it back for warranty evaluation. It's your choice to make.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

i would prefer to try and fix it myself as i am a farmer who lives 350kms away from where i would have to take the phone back. So any any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hall of Famer II

OK no problem...then I refer you back up to ALL that I already said in post 2 above...let me know how you'd like to proceed...I'd suggest you first reboot with no SIM and see what happens. Perhaps no media card as well (if you have one). Beyond that, the remedies are much more drastic, and the preparation steps I recommended above (backup) needs to be done first...but, so far, you've not replied on those points...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Ok Its a brand new phone and i havent loaded any third party apps on it, i have run it with no SD card and still did the same, i have also wiped the phone to factory reset and still did the same. i have now booted it with no sim card and will let you know how that goes. no backup required as there is nothing on the phone....

Hall of Famer II

OK that's good, but I need to understand one part very clearly:

fugeesawyer wrote:

i have also wiped the phone to factory reset and still did the same.

There are multiple different methods and options by which to do this, and the exact method you used will guide me in not giving you redundant recommendations. So please clarify...was this on-device only, or did you use the Desktop Software to do this? If on-device, which options did you select when you conducted it?

fugeesawyer wrote:

i have now booted it with no sim card and will let you know how that goes.

OK.

Thanks!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

right i have left the phone on the whole night with no sim card and it hasnt given me that messge yet, so maybe i need to replace my sim card. the wipe i did was through the security wipe on the phone and i ticked every box.

Hall of Famer II

fugeesawyer wrote:

right i have left the phone on the whole night with no sim card and it hasnt given me that messge yet, so maybe i need to replace my sim card.

Quite likely indeed.

fugeesawyer wrote:

the wipe i did was through the security wipe on the phone and i ticked every box.

OK thanks...what was confusing is that you also said "factory reset", which is a totally different process conducted not on the device, but via the Desktop Software.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates