Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
jbeachy
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

8330 File System?

I currently have a company-supplied Treo 700W.  Despite its numerous quirks and flaws, one of its outstanding features for me is the existence of a windows-like file system where downloaded attachments (or synch'd files) can be stored in memory or an SD card.  My company is pushing us toward BB Curve 8330 devices, and I'm probing to see if the 8330 has a file system.  I've read many of the messages here including some really excellent URLs supplied by tanzim regarding downloading, viewing, and even editing various attachments.  It's still unclear to me, though, if I can actually save a file in BB memory or a microSD card.  TIA.

Jim

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
jrdante
My Device: Blackberry 9530

Re: 8330 File System?

When you receive an attachment in an email:

Open the email

Scroll to the attachment

Push the trackball to open

Once the attachment is open....you will then be able to view the attachment

Hit the menu key again and click "save attachment"

You will then be prompted to save it in device memory or "media card"

I save to a media card as not to use the device memory....this can slow the device when saving numerous attachments.

Hope this helps,

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jbeachy
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks, John.  That's exactly what I hadn't been quite able to pin down!  All the articles I had found talked about everything but actually *saving* a document on board or on a card.  Jim
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I'm surely out of focus, but microSD cards, miniSD cards and SD Cards have a FAT16 or FAT32 file system. That means it can be read and written by many OSses like Windows 98, Linux of MacOSX easily (as opposed to NTFS).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

jrdante wrote:

When you receive an attachment in an email:

(...)

Hit the menu key again and click "save attachment"

Hello,

be aware that if you save Microsoft Office documents (xls, doc, ppt), you will be able to read them from your media card only if you have a Handheld OS 4.5 or higher. Most people have a HH OS 4.2, so they can view Excel files only from attachments.

Handheld OS 4.5 is said to be available for all carriers by fall 2008.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Wyoguy82
My Device: Curve 8330

Good day to all,

I just wanted to give a heads up on a cool program for BB that will allow you greater use and manipulation of any files on your device. It's called Rove Mobile File Manage and it's free (They also have some other useful programs, however, you do have to pay for those) If interested, go to: http://www.rovemobile.com/products/ I hope someone can find this useful! Thanks.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Everyone Should
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Knowwish
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: WIND

Good morning, I have the same problem but I do not find in the menu "save attachment". Neither in message menu or in  attachment menu: another suggestion? Tks

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Knowwish,

go to OPTIONS-ADVANCED OPTIONS-HOUST ROUTING TABLES menu key REGISTER. You will get an email telling you it's registered. Go to your BIS site and resend service books. Give it 10 minutes, do a battery pull with the phone ON leave it out for a minute, and replace. Let the phone reboot for 1-3 minutes.

See if the problem is fixed.

Thanks,

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Knowwish
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: WIND

Thanks Bifocals,

I tried the procedure (hope I made correctly, please explain better "...do a battery pull with the phone ON leave it out"...) but no changing.

SW of my handy is 4.2.2.184, Desktop Manager is 4.2.2.14.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.