Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

8330 OS 5.0.0.438 officially released

[ Edited ]

This will load on ANY carrier's 8330 by following the instructions below.

This is only for the 8330 model (MEID and ESN based models)
It is confirmed this OS will load to both MEID and ESN device models.

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.724 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 5.0.0.724
Consisting of:

* Applications: 5.0.0.438
* Software Platform: 3.5.0.44
* File name: 8330AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel724_PL3.5.0.44_A5.0.0.438_Boo st_Mobile.exe
* File size: 90.38MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Download the OS file ehre:  https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=32F6C513B25DF1C670753EB7335C4258

1. Backup your device first using Desktop Manager.

2. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
3. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
4. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
47_MasoN_47
My Device: Curve 8330

Re: 8330 OS 5.0.0.438 officially released

I'm running this on my MEID BlackBerry 8330 on VZW BIS :smileyhappy:  It works great!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mcarnivale
My Device: Curve 8330 - Verizon Wireless - OS 4.5.175 - Platform 3.4.0.55

We all how difficult Verizon can be to work with...   loading this on my Curve 8330 with Verizon service will effect how the phone operates on Verizon's service?  Will it void any kind warranty if the phone bricks?  I want to run 5.0 on my phone I guess I'm just worried I will brick the phone and not be able to reverse the damage.   I'm computer savvy, not a  genius by any means, you directions seem simple enough....   just a little hesitant.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
maxsterling
My Device: 8330

[ Edited ]

I have it working on my blackberry, however Desktop Manger refuses to accept that i have it installed or that its available to install...

I am using Desktop Manager version 5.0.1.28

With a Verizon Wireless 8330 curve blackberry

OS 5.0.0.438

No applications other than the OS 5 install

Please use plain text.
strongarm_playa
My Device: curve 8330
My Carrier: sprint

Ok, Im debating if I should install OS 5 or just wait until sprint releases it officially on sprint. Honestly, im curious to know what the difference really is? What does the "boost mobile" 5.0 OS offer that sprint may not? I use to have boost mobile, but it was horrible service but yes it had a great a great price. Im truly happy with sprint now. I know sprint also owns boost, but that being the case, wont sprint be soon giving their bberry curve 8330 users the 5.0 OS?

Like I said, I dont want to rush to do this, but is there any true difference or advantages with the 5.0 OS? Im sure someone who has already installed this OS will be able to answer this question.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mcarnivale

Ok....   here's on honest opinion from someone who is not a computer genius...

Been up nd running with the 5.0 for a couple of hours now and here's what I noticed....

1. Phone is a little sluggish.  The install chewed up some memory slowing the phone down.

2. Appworld and BBM had to reinstalled and it took a while, more that one try for BBM.  Appworld is not running too smoothly on this OS.

3. If you were looking to gain the theme that has been coming with the newer phones; Storm2 and Tour; they wre not part of the package.

4. The appointments in my calender want to be duplicated.  Had this problem before need to change CiCal settings.  Not a big problem. 

5. The browser is a little different too. For example when you scroll over a link it does not highlight the link like it used to. 

It was easy to install also, just follow JSanders instructions in the original post and you're good to go.  I'm happy with it so far, but we'll see how it goes.   

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
FA1SGL
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon

Just to answer in part the question you had earlier reference how the phone will operate within Verizon's network.  On a day to day basis, Verizon doesn't know what OS release you have nor do they care.  Following every OS change I have received my two emails.  One that my Blackberry is registered with the BIS and the other from Verizon welcoming me to the network.  All is right with my world.

As you can tell from my sig Verizon and I have some different OSs.  If and only if something happened to my phone and I needed to take it in to a Verizon store would I even consider downgrading to the last official Verizon release. 

If I opted not to downgrade and it was caught so to speak and they handed me the phone back I would make the trip back to the house fire up the PC downgrade and return.  This is of course if it was something unrelated to the OS anyway.

I have had conversations with Verizon employees who are doing the same as we are and they generally don't care.  Generally.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
th03as
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Alltel

im having a problem, im doing all the steps but when i run the loader nothing happens, can someone tell me what im doing wrong?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
FA1SGL
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon

Nothing as in absolutely nothing or you get a result other than the OS being installed?

I had a brain freeze when I doing one of my upgrades and was not deleting the vendor.xml file...as it didn't find anything needing changing with that last OS it didn't start the process I wanted.

If as indicated it JSanders' post in the order given you should have it begin.

What and how you begin the process is also driven by your system (PC) OS and what rights y ou have as an administrator. 

It working is dependent up carefully following the steps.  I thought having done it a number of times I had it down pat and it took only one miscue to get me frustrated.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mcarnivale

HUGE memory leak that I can not stop.  My phone is just bleeding memory away.  Rolling back  to 4.7.

Please use plain text.