Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
aceaceace56
My Device: 8330 Curve

Re: 8330 OS 5.0.0.438 officially released

I had a similar problem with my Sprint 8330 BB Curve.  I could not get past the load phase by following the instructions that are in this thread, it would not find the version 5 OS.  So I followed the instructions here instead and got my v5.0.0.438 to load and work OK.

http://www.sethb.com/weblog/?p=1244  

and this youtube video will help too:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuqxvR6xcUc

The instructions I followed are almost the same instructions as what are posted in this thread, but the main difference between this thread and  what I did was that I backed up my 8330 first with BB Desktop Manager (DM), then downloaded BBSAK (Blackberry Swiss Army Knife) from www.bbsak.org  then backed up all my 3rd party applications using BBSAK, then the hard part, well, the part that took the most convincing myself, and that was use BBSAK to WIPE my BB 8330 of all its data, OS and applications. :smileysurprised: Then use BBSAK to load the BB OS version 5 onto my Sprint 8330.  The wipe only took 2 minutes. Then I was committed !!  :smileyindifferent:   The first time I did the LOAD it didn't work, and the 2nd time it failed again but almost at the end of the OS v5 load, but the 3rd time was a charm. :smileyhappy: I think the first two I was clicking and nervously moving the cell phone too much and disconnected it by accident. So the 3rd time I left it alone for 15 min and came back the 8330 was all good and working and asking me to do an initial setup.  :smileyvery-happy:

I then used BBSAK to restore all of my 3rd party apps, then used BB DM to restore all my contacts, and messages, theme, etc.

The only issue I am having is that I can't get Opera to work right.  It loads, but won't let me click on any of the speed dials.  I am going to upgrade Opera now to the latest version that works with v5.  I think the one I have works with v4.5.

One other neat twist.  I successfully did the entire OS backup, restore and load using BBSAK and BB DM from Windows XP running on VMware on my Macbook Pro.

edh

740_300k
My Device: Curve 8330

The problem doesn't lie with Opera, I don't think.  You have to use the "Enter" button to select a speed dial, and zoom.  The track ball does NOT function like a button in Opera Mini any longer.  I ran in to that as well, and it is going to be tough to relearn after two years of using it like that.

BTW, I have NO memory leak problems, or anything.  After a battery pull, the phone runs great, and may actually be a little quicker.  I like the way the texting functions work now...just like Yahoo IM.

Joe

New Contributor
aceaceace56

Yes,  I think I was in denial, and finally figured out that Opera itself is causing the problem.  I was hoping maybe I installed a version of Opera not specific for my Blackberry; hoping maybe I got an Android version or something like that, but I'm pretty sure I got the right BB version.

I am bummed about Opera Mini changing the function of the buttons.  hoping that there is a preference setting to change the enter key back to the pressing the track ball.  I cannot get used to it either after years of using Opera Mini by pressing the trackball for enter, I am going to switch to BOLT for awhile and see how that goes.

I also have NOT experienced any memory leak, and my BB seems to be about the same speed.  I don't use BIS, so I don't use any BB utilities or the BB browser.  I load all my software like Opera or Bolt, from the Desktop Manager or from BBSAK, so maybe that is why I don't have a memory leak.

bwomp91
My Device: Curve 8330m

Hey,

Do you have an 8330 I'm assuming? Not an 8330m

I've been poking around here and I tried the EXACT instructions and am running into some problems.

My current thought is that, because I DO have an 8330m, I'm SOL and won't ever get OS 5.0.

I delete "vendor.xml" and start the loader, it recognizes the device and on the 3rd check mark it looks for the service. It advance to the next page and tell me there is no software that can be loaded on my phone. When I hit cancel, Vendor.xml has reappeared.

Is there some back-door way to get rid of vendor.xml, or am I just stuck because of my 8330m.

New Contributor
aceaceace56

I read thru this entire thread twice at least in the last few weeks, and most seem to agree that the 8330m will not work with version 5.  You have to have a plain 8330

To find out if you have the 8330m or 8330 press the BB "Menu" button (just to the left of the scroll wheel) then press "Options" (on mine it looks like a wrench) then click "About". It will show either 8330 or 8330m.  Mine shows an 8330 and I was able to upgrade to version 5 of the OS.

Someone else also suggested that to press Shift+Alt+H to get to the info screen that will tell you the phone version information, but I am not able to do that.

This thread discusses technical differences between ESN (8330) and MEID (8330m) mobile phones:    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/question-about-diff-between-8330-8330m-esn-meid-182350/

Also, so far, I don't see much difference between BB OS version 4.5 and 5.0 except for the SMS text utility is a lot different maybe even better.  Also, I now have a screen saver that displays the time when I have my cell phone charging. I plug it in next to my bed and it is pretty bright, so I am now setting it to not display during certain hours. There is also a utility to see all the files on the BB, which I don't think I had before.

I still am not having any luck installing Opera, instead I have been able to install that latest version of Bolt browers version 2.5 which I am starting to like.  Plus the Bolt browser has a companion java utility that will make the Bolt browser the default browser on the BB, and if you don't have BIS (Blackberry Internet Services) this is very very nice to finally not have to ever see the BB browser again.

bwomp91
My Device: Curve 8330m

Yeah I'm just confused because the OP says it works ESN or MEID, confirmed. Weird.....

Anyway, the main reason I'm trying to upgrade is for the SMS. I hate the current one, it's a pain when I'm writing a text and I get a new message from the person....I have to back out of the one I'm writing, save it, go read the new one, back out, and go back into my draft message. I've been told the new SMS is much more like a BBM or IM format, where if I get a new text while typing it just shows up as I continue to type.

Ughh. Thanks sprint.

New Contributor
aceaceace56

Sprint has been good to me for 11 years (well maybe about 10 out of the 11), but their prices have been creeping up and up, so I might be tempted to check out Verizon, especially now that they have an iPhone.  Everyone I know has either an iPhone or an Anderoid.

thundarr72
My Device: Curve 8330

Hi JSanders,

I downloaded from the link, ran the RIM installer, deleted the vendor.xml, connected my BB ran the loaded, it ran pretty quick, I backed up everything before starting process so did not do it during it..... Loader reported  -- Update successfull, my BB at that point had a black screen with BlackBerry written in white and a white progress bar at bottom stuck at a third the way through, let it sit there for 10 mins pulled battery , same deal, black screen BB logo written out, white progress bar a third the way through for 15 mins. I try to launch BB Desktop and it will not connect..Any suggestions, I tried to run loader again but it also fails to connect, I think I killed my phone :-(

Any help you can offer greatly appreciated

Madeline686
My Device: 8330

[ Edited ]

Hi just wondering how i would install this on the macbook pro for my Blackberry 8330 (CDMA) v4.5.0.77
Also when i download the file for 8330 v.5 it only shows up as random letters and symbols in TextEdit

I'm very stumped

Thank you

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Madeline686 wrote:

Hi just wondering how i would install this on the macbook pro for my Blackberry 8330 (CDMA) v4.5.0.77
Also when i download the file for 8330 v.5 it only shows up as random letters and symbols in TextEdit

I'm very stumped

Thank you

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

On MAC, you cannot use those OS packages. On MAC, you are limited to only those OS levels presented by the MAC Desktop Software.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code