Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8350i: Changing the font size results in screen redraw problems

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone.  

BlackBerry 8350i

v4.6.1.204 (3.0.0.73)

BBAlpha Sans, size 8

When the screen redraws to account for a change in font or font size, there is a redraw problem that overwrites portions of the menu.  Steps to repro and some supporting dialogue from a 3rd party software developer are below.

Steps needed to observe the problem:

• Go to Options -> Screen / Keyboard.
  • Select Font size.
  • Roll up and down between the different available font sizes.
  • Observe that sections of the font size menu disappear and reappear as the "Quick brown fox" example text is redrawn.

I have always thought that menus should receive visual preference, meaning that anything redrawn in the background should not overwrite them.  The 8350i does not seem to honor this convention, however.  Instead, the sample text renders in front of portions of the font size menu list, making those portions of the menu disappear.

Case in point: AstraSync 3.0, just out of beta, uses some nice stylization for its main email presentation screen.  However, when you click the menu button, the menus are slowly devoured by the background text and eventually become invisible.  I reported this issue to AstraSync tech support and they have stated that this appears to be a bug in the 8350i, not their software:  
James and others, Unfortunately the problems with the menu disappearing 
appear to be a device issue and as such is not something that we are 
able to fix.

-Vicky Cwilewicz, Wednesday, April 08, 2009 
http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=649
This conversation occurred while the AstraSync software was in beta, and I have confirmed that the issue continues now that the software is out of beta.  Given the phone's own rendering issues within Screen/Keyboard, I think their claim, that this represents a bug in the phone itself, has some merit.  Any thoughts or advice on a workaround?  Assuming that this is truly a bug in the device software itself, will RIM please consider addressing it?

Thanks,

James 

Message Edited by jmegna on 06-02-2009 01:16 PM
New Developer

Re: 8350i: Changing the font size results in screen redraw problems

This problem is also evident in Opera Mini. A bit of googling revealed it was introduced in OS version 4.6.1.128. This is quite clearly a device bug and we would appreciate a response from RIM on the matter.

Cheers

New Contributor

An official reply would be very much appreciated.  It was my understanding that this was the correct place to report the issue.  If that is not the case, would someone kindly point me in the right direction?  Where am I supposed to report this problem if not here?

Thanks again,

James 

New Contributor

An official response or acknowledgement of a legitimate bug would be appreciated.  If I'm not supposed to report bugs here, where am I supposed to report them?