Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520

8520 adding extra letters when typing and wont type others, help!!

PLEASE HELP

when I am typing extra letters I do not type are added for example I type 'a' and 'as' appears. when I try to type 's' nothing appears. The same thing for a variety of other letter combinations

This just began happening out of the blue as I was typing. The phone has not been dropped, did not get wet or anything. I have done a battery pull 3 times and this has not helped.

any suggestions

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9650 OS6 (primary), Curve 8530 OS5

Re: 8520 adding extra letters when typing and wont type others, help!!

I'm not sure if this is what is causing your issue, but try going to your Options (may be in the setup folder) >Language and Text Input> Show Text Input Options and see if "Predictive Input" is checked. If so, remove the check next to it, press the escape/back button and select save. This was causing me the same problem and disabling this feature fixed it.

Hope this helps!

~JavaBrat~
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion!

That wasn't the issue, I checked and the predictive box wasnt checked.

Its not predicting words at all. I try to type the word "dog" and it comes up as "sdsossgss" its just adding random S's and when I actually try to type an S, it doesnt work.

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9650 OS6 (primary), Curve 8530 OS5

Well I'm sorry that didn't help any.  I was hoping for your sake it would be something simple ;-)

I noticed you said you had tried a battery pull but it didn't work. Did you try this with the device turned on or off? I only ask because a battery pull is supposed to be done with the device turned on, which a lot of people don't realize (myself included LOL). If you haven't tried it that way, I would give that a shot and see if it works. If the device was turned off, then you just basically performed a soft reset. Pulling the battery while the device is turned on is performing a hard reset.

So try pulling the battery out while it is turn on and leave it out for at least 30 seconds. Once you put it back in the device should power up on its own and once it is fully loaded you can see if that did the trick. In the meantime I'll keep digging around and hopefully come up with another possible solution.

~JavaBrat~
New Contributor

Thanks! I tried both ways.

It does help for awhile and I can type normally (except for the S which still doesn't work) however, eventually the extra letters begin to reappear when I'm typing. I'm assuming it must be a hardware issue with the keyboard?

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530

did you ever get an answer to this? My Blackberry Curve started doing this today. The bad thing is that I have my phone password protected and now I can't even enter my password. ugh!

My Device: Not Specified

Additional letters are usually a sign of water damage. I know this, as I have had this happen twice (I really shouldn't buy nice things!!!)

The first time it was just a few drops of water and after this dried out (a couple of hours) it worked fine.

The second time, about two weeks ago..I dropped it in a full sink! Epic epic fail!!!!

Since, as far as I'm aware water damage is not covered on the warranty (and why should it be?) I decided to take it apart and have a look myself.

After watching various youtube videos on how to dismantle a blackberry (mine is 8900 curve but I'm sure others are put together in a similar way) I tried peeling back the membrane on the keypad and cleaning with rubbing alcohol. Nothing... Found a replacement keyboard circuit on ebay and applied that...still no luck!

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT BIT

The ribbon connector that joins the keyboard circuit with the mobo has a very small connection head. Looking closely, the socket pins had some corrosion on them. Again, I broke out some of the rubbing alcohol and a cotton bud and wiped the pins...great success! A Blackberry which only types the letters it should! =D

Obviously, as I say, it voids your warranty, but I essentially got my ruined BB 8900 working again for the cost of a few drops of rubbing alcohol, a cotton bud and a borrowed T6 screwdriver.

If you're not confident enough to repair it yourself then I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be able to help out, they may charge a lot though ;-)

Hope this helps! =D

My Device: blackberry torch

Thanks for the suggestions. I've just cured my adding of an "o" to the word "an". The input language was set to Portugeuse. I had a similar issue about 6 months ago when it was somehow set to Arabic and it kept adding an apostrophe within the word "the".