Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
plsparrow
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: orange

8520 has white screen but still functions ok

got my daughters 8520 here and it has a white screen on it, although appears to be working fine - if i ring it it rings fine and it gets notifications through as well - just nothing on screen apart from its all white 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 8520 has white screen but still functions ok

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
plsparrow

thanks for that - gave that a go and no joy - also tried a fresh install of the software and again still the same :/

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm...given that, it sounds like something physical then. You'd need to find a local (to you) qualified hardware technician to give you a diagnosis and estimate.

Any possibility of there having been some moisture intrusion into the BB? Results from such damage are totally unpredictable, so what you describe could be caused by that.

Then again...there is another thing to try...total wipe and reload...the BBASK tool (bbsak.org) can do a major wipe and reload of the OS. You will need to have downloaded and installed to your PC the proper OS package (and, if not from your carrier, deleted the VENDOR.XML files). Given what you've described, I actually don't hold out much hope...but you never know.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
plsparrow

i could give that a try - do you have a link to the files i need to do this - the phone itself is on orange (uk)  

thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Here's a set of processes/links that may be useful...starting with the OS reloading process.

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
immolation
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: O2 UK

Hi There,

I did have the same problem on my old 8520,

On closer inspection, the battery was swelling and seemed to be causing issues.

Worth Considering.

Please use plain text.