Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: 8520 Curve
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: 8520 trackpad problems

I have the problem where it stops working all together. I've somehow figured out that when It stop, if I let the screen dim to standby, then hit any keys, I can then use it again. I'm starting to assume it's when it vibrates when I get messages, but it's a bit strange how letting the screen dim is the solution. Software or hardware here....?!

Visitor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: Various

[ Edited ]

Melong...same with mine. (bb: 8520)

Only after allowing it to sit idle , until the screen dimmed,...(untouched - not moving it or breathing on it at all) ... , did it then work for me. Very frustrating - to say the least.

I have 'done' the whole "remove battery thing" for the past week or two. i deleted all kinds of vids and pics and such - thinking that would help...it didnt.

I have removed card(s). I have cleaned it. Everything short of a OS update or OS replacement? ( I have found on other forums that even trackpad replacement and/or OS update or Reinstall, does not help either. ( watched: BlackBerry 8520 / 8530 Trackpad Removal , on 'that' movie site Smiley Tongue )

It  seems I am stuck with just simply waiting for the screen to dim.... then it works ok . ( so far)

I played with the phones "Settings" , in the "Screen/Keyboard" area, I set the "Backlight Timeout" from 2 minutes... to 45 seconds ( for me, personally, that is fine) and it seemed to have helped

My thoughts on doing that were basically, getting the phone into "Dim" mode quicker...which seemed to superfically 'bypass' or 'band-aid' the frustration. Hopefully this will be truely fixed with an update.

(sidenote:  I have also set my "Auto-Dim-Backlight" Setting to : "OFF")

New Contributor
My Device: 8520

Good evening friends! I've got  a same problem and.. i don't know whats happend..:/ have U fixed it?? What should i do, buy new track pad???Is exacktly same i can accept by cklick by cant move ( scroll) is frozen HELP ME!!!! Thanks a lot

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: VirginMedia

There was a suggestion on a previous thread discussing this problem that the input from the trackpad was too much for the processor in the 8520 to take, thus creating a "crash"; or something to that effect.  Be it true or not, I find it very hard to believe that this is a software issue.

I'm onto my 3rd handset now, the 2nd of which had problems with the trackpad from day1 pretty much.  I've had this one a week and so far no problems (oh dear now I've jinxed myself).

I have attempted to contact RIM offices in Stafford and have received no reply from them.  There was, however, a small returns label in with the returns box which has a space for handset problems.  I noted the trackpad wasn't working and that it was a wide-spread problem (which it certainly seems to be looking on Google). 

At the end of this 2 year contract, I'll be upgrading but won't be getting the newest model out I should think.  I do like the BlackBerry, its my first mobile and I've found it easy to use; trackpad issues aside.  It would be interesting to see if all the later models use the trackpad and if they have reported the same issue or not.

Best regards

Gavin

New Contributor
My Device: Blackbery Curve 8520
My Carrier: t-mobile

I too have been having the same exact problem and found that placing my phone into the freezer for a couple minutes to five minutes helps the problem.  But recently my phone just quit working altogether.  Screen would be black but the red indicator would flash once, then three times consecutively, then once more.  and would continue that pattern.  Was told that Blackberry has been experiencing these problems with their software.  basically if your track pad stops working, be careful if your red indicator light starts doing weird things because i don't know if they're related problems and i wonder if its a combination of both software and hardware issues.

Because one thing is better then the previous does not make it more reliable or dependable.

New Contributor

cheeers guys let me know what should i do....

New Contributor
My Device: Blackbery Curve 8520
My Carrier: t-mobile

just put the phone into the freezer for two - five minutes and see if that helped

New Contributor

???WTF

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Virgin Media

[ Edited ]

Just another 8520 trackpad problem...

First one worked on and off for about 5 months then froze completely (after intermittent freezing and "jumping around" when trying to scroll).

Second one lasted a week before same happening. Waiting for the 3rd replacement but they are "having trouble provisioning". No {word filter avoidance}, when they're having to replace them all.

My wife (whose phone it is) is hell to live with like this.....

My Device: Not Specified

i agree completely. try and get a bold i heard that their software is better no one i know with a bold has had that problem. i have a curve 8520 and it has the same problem. the track pad wont scroll but it will click. i had it sent off for repair and it worked for about a day and then stopped again. no resets work. im going to get a new one.