Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

scpolk
My Device: 8500, 9600 8300
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 8530 Constant Reboot

Hello all I have been working with RIM over the past few days on this issue.  Here are the latest notes of our conversation.

From RIM technician

Upon investigation, I have discovered that a bug has been identified that is causing 8530 devices to go into these infinite reboot loops when content protection and/or memory cleaning is enabled. Users with Content Protection off or no IT policy for Memory Cleaning will not encounter this problem. The software development team is working on a fix but there is no ETA on availability.

If you have any devices in the reboot loop, you can get them back to factory state by doing the following:

1)  Plug the device into a PC that has Desktop Manager installed

2)  Run the loader.exe /resettofactory switch

3)  Activate the device on a Policy that does not have Content Protection or Memory Cleaner turned on 

I have modified my policy and have removed the memory cleaning but have kept password locking and can now use the devices that I previously could not.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KJBuettner
My Device: BlackBerry 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

In my case, we have content protection enabled.  This is needed to meet our security policy for mobile devices.  I am not going to say turning is option off is a solution.

Hopefully, that will not be a workaround provided by support.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KJBuettner
My Device: BlackBerry 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

Solution identified.  The issue has been identified by Research In Motion support and provided out to the carriers. 

If you are having this issue, contact your carrier and they will provide the solution or how to obtain it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PSouthern
My Device: 8530 Curve

That response is rather open ended. 

I have contacted my carrier and they have received this recovery tool that RIM sent out.  The only issue is they don't know how a user with a service contract with RIM can get a copy for themselves.  As you can imagine, it is a little inconvenient to be running to the carrier's office every time I get a phone like this if there is a known tool that I could just use in my office.

Does anyone know how to get a copy of this tool or even what it is called to request one?  I called RIM Tech Support and they don’t even know what tool my carrier is referring to, which I find hilarious since my carrier received it from RIM.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
elhunsaker
My Device: Tour 9630

So, is this thread dead?  I have this exact same problem (and have for months), but on my Tour 9630.  I cannot reboot my device reliably.  If I'm lucky it comes back in a couple hours after 10's of reboot attempts.  I can't disable memory cleaning due to BES policy.  Will RIM be issuing an OS update for this problem?  I can't afford to be running special utilities to recover my phone each time it reboots in case it happens when I'm away from my computer.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aj_engel
My Device: Curve 8320
My Carrier: ATT

You can get the fix from Verizon's website... Just go to Software updates, select corporate email, select the curve 2 and then look for the fix (Power Cycle Loop Issue click here for instructions and click here to download file.)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
greenme12345
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: SaskTel

Thank you so much for posting your solution because these steps worked for me also.   Bought a new Curve 8530 last Saturday, restored data and address book from DM, an hour later, the phone was rebooting constantly, I then exchanged the Curve 8530 for another one on Monday.  Restored data and address book from DM, phone was rebooting again.  From reading this specific post, I wiped out my phone as described last night, reloaded the software and the phone has worked all day.  Except, I did not have my address book.  After reading other posts throughout the web, I decided today to restore my data and address book on DM, quickly I disabled Encryption (Options, Security Options, Encyrption) and disabled MEMORY CLEANING (Options, Security Options, Advanced Security Options, Memory Cleaning).  Note: I couldn't disable memory cleaning, which had a lock symbol beside it, until I disabled Encryption. Long story short, I backed up my BB Curve 8530 with memory cleaning and encryption disabled on DM.  At least, I have my address book, I do not see the message that Memory Cleaning will begin and the phone goes into seemingly permanent reboot (or power cycle looping) mode.  It is my hope that RIM issues a solution to this matter of the 8530 constant rebooting.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lfranchi
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: VIVO

Hi, people. I tried to restore the bb OS.... the files are loaded to the Blackberry, but when its wait for start device, the blackberry starts the constant reboot and dever finish the reinstall process!

I don´t know what can I do to fix this problem. I solved once, but not anymore!...

Please Help me!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
bigndn
My Device: 8530 curve
My Carrier: Virgin

ok so i have tryed the update from verison and it didnt work everytime i try to program my phone reboots it actually just shuts down and does nothing then once the program says complete it starts trying to reboot again.  Help!!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
glebzeglov
My Device: Not Specified

How exactly you are able to do someting with this rebooting loop?

my 8530 is rebooting all time and:

JL_comander/BB desktop manager/ loader

all 3 unable to connect to this crappy device becouse it don't finishing boot up

i try "3rd company wipe" but it don't work on 8530, 8530 to new for it

I try to use verizon solution but it freezing on 0 percent done

any options how I can factory reset this device?

I can't connect to the device becouse of reboot loop

Loader and BB Desctop manager not connecting during boot up

there was super smart solution of one "smart **bleep**" that suggest to turn off device by botton during the loop....  during the loop device can't finish boot up so it don't turning itself off

Thanks

Please use plain text.