Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
mario1491
My Device: Curve 8530

8530 suddenly blocking website connection

In the last few days, I seem to have been blocked out from at least one web site, Craigslist. The phone "tries" to connect but never does and eventually times out. I see the upper-right arrows moving but then they stop. Sometimes I get "communication failure" error; sometimes "gateway error". I have talked to Sprint twice but the problem doesn't seem to be with them since it happens when I'm wifi-connected too. I've tried all 3 browsers and the same thing happens. I reloaded software, etc. from my manager program; that didn't change anything. I have tried numerous battery removals; no help. Once again, this has just started happening out of nowhere. I know that it can't be on the Craiglist side of the equation because I don't even get far enough for it to be displayed. Any ideas?
Retired
hmthepirate
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: 8530 suddenly blocking website connection

Hello mario1491 and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear you're having an issue browsing on your device.

To clarify, you are only unable to access this specific website (Craigslist) or are you unable to access all websites? 

You said you have tried on "all 3 browsers". Can you please provide the names of these browsers? 

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
mario1491

The three:  Blackberry, Firefox and Internet Explorer.   At the top of the browser selection page, it is showing "internet browser".

New Contributor
mario1491

Oh...and to clarify...it appears to be only Craigslist....as best I can tell.   All of the other sites I normally go to are fine and have been fine throughout this problem.  Also, it will happen on any site that has "craigslist" in the name, i.e. Criagslist.org, craigslist.com, Chicago.craigslist, etc.  If I google Craigslist and then try to connect from there, it will happen again.   I will also share that today I experimented with a proxy site and the exact same thing happens.  I was trying to see if IP address might have something to do with it.  Thanks for your help.

Retired
hmthepirate

When you say Firefox and Internet Explorer, are you referring to the computer browsers on your Windows PC?

Since it only seems to be Craigslist that is failing to load, I'd suggest you contact their webmaster for support for mobile browser requirements.

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

New Contributor
mario1491

I'm not referring to browsers on a PC.  (By the way, Craigslist does fine on the PC - just no longer works on the BlackBerry).  On the BB,  if I go to the internet browser page....press menu key...then "options", the page comes up that gives an option called "browser configuration"...I select that...a "browser configuration" page appears...this page has a drop down menu called "browser Idendification".   The menu allows me to select "blackberry" (which is what I have always used, "firefox" and "internet explorer".  What I am saying is that the same thing (timeout) happens with each of the different browsers.  

I can't see how Craiglist would have changed any sort of browser requirement that wouldn't have the same effect on everyone or at least thousands of users.  And besides - how can I control or modify any browser requirements on this phone even if I wanted to?  I have no control or impact on the browsers.  Doesn't it have any sort of diagnositic tool that would indicate what is going on/what is causing the problem?  No "safe mode" as such?  Something has changed over night...either in the phone or its related to Sprint.  But the page won't load on wifi either.

Retired
hmthepirate

Due to this issue's complexity, please ask your mobile provider's technical support team to open a case with BlackBerry on your behalf so we can better assist.

Thanks!

-HMthePirate

New Contributor
mario1491

An update as of Friday, 7/19

After several conversations with Spring, they have duplicated the problem and they tell me that it is blackberry related.  The ticket number (in case it matters) is 19635666-130717.  Let's hope solutions are on the way.

Yellowbus
My Device: Blackberry 9650

Hello, I am having the exact same problem with my BB 9650 using Verizon.  I can access all websites via the internet brower on my 9650 except Craigslist.  I can access it just fine using my desktop PC, just not my 9650 irregardless of whether I am on 3G or WIFI.

New Contributor
mario1491

I guess that one just has to "live with it".  I'm amazed that I  can have this problem...and have sptint involved...and...supposedly I have blackberry involved...but yet absolutely nothing happens to change the circumstances such that the problem is fixed.  If this site is some sort of "official" connection to blackberry or RIM, can someone tell me how I can get some help from someone?.  When your phone suddenly experiences problems, is the solution to just switch to another phone manufacutrer?  Is there any way to get any help from anyone at all with the potential to get something done?  This is very frustrating.