Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

8900 drops WiFi connection, drops router connection when not constantly active (tested using ping)

Hi,I just received my Curve 8900 from Orange UK a few days ago. So far I love it but I have been experiencing problems with its WiFi in my home, with the connection dropping often.

The phone connects to the wireless router, once I turn on WiFi, then connects to UMA with the WiFi symbol lit up. However, after a few minutes, the internet over the wireless internet drops, the phone shows that it is still connected to the router, but there is a white dash instead of a green check near the wireless connection. If I have the mobile access off, the UMA disappears and the Wifi turns grey, with no GPRS and no connection to the internet.

At first, I thought there may have been a problem reaching the BIS from the router or that there was a problem with the DNS server or something like that. In fact, the error messages using the WiFi diagnostics tool (in advanced mode) under Options->WiFi, displayed those kinds of error messages.However, trying a little experiment, I found that with my laptop, I could ping the IP address of the Blackberry 8900 when the UMA and WiFI icons were on and there was a green check near the wireless router. However, when there was a white dash, the 8900 could not be pinged, *even though* it showed that it was still connected to the router.

This shows that in fact, the 8900 is actually dropping the connection to the router!  You can test this further by going into Options->Wifi and selecting Ping from the Wifi Tools and trying to ping the gateway (the router, that is -- it's one of the options you can select). If the UMA/Wifi connection has dropped, but the 8900 still shows the device as connected to the router, pinging the router still results in a timeout.To test the idea that the 8900 disconnects itself from the router when not active, I had my laptop send continues pings to the device when the connection to the WiFi was newly established (turning off Wifi, then turning it on again seems to result in a brief space of UMA/WiFI access). With the laptop pinging the 8900 every second, I was able to maintain a *solid* WiFi connection over the entire period (over a half hour), being able to connect to the internet from anywhere in the house, without the connection dropping.

Similarly, using the Ping tool on the 8900 (under Options->Wifi, Wifi Tools) set to 'self' ping, and number of pings = 1000, the 8900 did not drop the WiFi connection during this interval.Once the pings stop (either from the laptop or the self ping tool), the 8900 drop the WiFi connection and drops the connection to the router.

It seems as if there is either a problem with the device or the firmware. It seems sensible that the 8900 would try to save some battery life when it is not using the WiFi connection, but it seems as if this is causing it to disconnect from the router and there is a problem with it reconnecting to it when a request is made, either from a browser or anywhere else, to connect to the internet via WiFi.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if there is some way of notifying Blackberry about this if this is the case.

Router: Netgear DG834G v4 

Re: 8900 drops WiFi connection, drops router connection when not constantly active (tested using pin

I have exactly the same problem. My WiFi connection works intermittently. Today I cannot get it to reconnect at all. I have tried restarting the router, and deleting the WiFi connection and recreating it. 

When I go to WiFi diagnostics, it says "Status: IP address no longer found". My other WiFi devices can connect to the router no problem.

Has anyone got a solution to this? *sigh* I wish i had got an iPhone instead Smiley Sad 

Re: 8900 drops WiFi connection, drops router connection when not constantly active (tested using pin

I have had the exact same problem with two separate 8900's. Only, mine doesn't wait until I'm not using it; it will simply drop connection at regular intervals. it will still show the SSID of my network but have a "-" instead of a checkmark in the manage connections window. The wifi icon goes pale. The crazy part is, I can still ping the router using the tool. It has a status of "network acquired" when you look at the details. I have a Linksys WRT54G v2.0 router. Its firmware is up to date. I utilize WPA2-Personal with TKIP, the SSID is not broadcast, I use a MAC filter (whitelist) and static IPs (no conflict, already verified). My channel is set to 11 and other settings are normal. If anyone gathers any information on this issue, or has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it. I am going to try disabling all of my security for testing and I will report back. This was quite a bummer, as I just got a replacement phone today and already I have the same problems. I also just turned on IPSec passthru to start enjoying the glorious UMA. :-( My BB software is 4.6.1.231, and I am on T-Mobile.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8900 Curve, 6230

The same here...

And i bougt the Wifi router ( Linksys WRT54G2) just for blackberry to use when I`m at home, but... Everything is the same as everybody else here in this topic.

New Contributor

I have been struggling with the same......Wi-Fi connection drops every couple of minutes or so, I can however reconnect each time but its a pain having to keep doing that. I need it to stay active constantly.

Can any1 help me on this issue it is very frustrating?!! Been on to Orange and all they could do was send me an update which hasnt changed anything!

New Contributor

Can someone please help me out..........have looked all over the web for a fix but cant find one!!

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2

This works but is not ideal.

At home connect to your router but set to wifi only.

In connections only check wifi.

Before you go out turn off wifi connections

Set to mobile only and only check mobile network box.

When you get back turn off mobile connections

Before you go out turn off wifi connections

Set to mobile only and only check mobile network box.

When you get back turn off mobile connections

Tedious but it works.

Someone should sort this out.

Contributor
My Device: BB 8530 / v5.0.0.459 / Platform 4.2.0.201 / SaskTel
My Carrier: SaskTel

While not a Blackberry expert and having no experience with the 8900, I can think of 2 possible reasons for your problems.  Of all the wireless routers I have used (Netgear, Cisco/Linksys, D-Link) the only one I consistently had problems with was a Linksys WRT54G!  This was both with several different BB models as well as on my home network.   A more likely possible cause of your problem may be the fact that your router is not broadcasting the SSID, allowing the 8900's WiFi connection to time out (is there a "disconnect on no activity" time setting?).  When this happens, the 8900 cannot reconnect automatically because it is waiting for you to tell it which router to connect to!

I am now considering buying a BB 8900, so if anyone can tell me if the disconnect problem is solved I would appreciate it.

Regina, SK, Canada

Fairly experienced with networks (incl WiFi) and computers in general. Also different phones, different Canadian and U.S.carriers.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

When I first got my 8900 I ran into this problem as well. I didn't get into all  the ping testing everyone here did.  The strange thing was that just prior to getting the 8900 I had 3 8320's connected to my WRT54GSv7 with current OEM firmware with no problems.  However, when I got the 8900 I started having problems with the 8900 AND the other two 8320's with regard to holding the UMA connection. I tried several different OS's on the 8900 and tried different security protocols and SSID broadcasting/no broadcasting to no avail.  If I left the 8900 wifi off then the other two 8320's worked fine.

I finally installed DD-WRT on to the router and the issue went away.  There is something about Linksys routers and the OEM firmware that UMA doesn't always like.  I really don't know what it is.  Even now I have the same 8900 and a 9700, as well as an iPhone connected all the time and still occasionally will have an issue where the UMA won't connect.  As soon as I reboot the router all is good again.  I now have DD-WRT automatically reboot the router at 4am every morning and now notice very few issues with UMA.

The best router I have setup was for a family member and it was a DLink DIR-825.  It worked flawlessly with my 8900 and also my 9700 using firmware right out of the box with no UMA drops and good range. 

From my own personal experience UMA issues are 98% of the time a router problem. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get 15% off a new BlackBerry device from ShopBlackberry! Use discount code vj7wgxj9w (Limited time only!!!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: BB 8530 / v5.0.0.459 / Platform 4.2.0.201 / SaskTel
My Carrier: SaskTel

Then the problem is obviously caused by the WRT54G.  As I mentioned above, all other routers (most of them Wireless N) worked flawlessly.  As far as I'm concerned the WRT54G (in all its many versions) is a piece of s***.  Rogers Wireless told me I HAD to use their "voice-optimized" WRT54G to connect to their Talkspot service - but then those of us who use Rogers know how ethical some of their sales staff are!

Regina, SK, Canada

Fairly experienced with networks (incl WiFi) and computers in general. Also different phones, different Canadian and U.S.carriers.