Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
gdiza
My Device: Blackberry 9360
Accepted Solution

9360 Missing 2G ONLY Option!!!

Hi guys,

First off, this is my first post on the forums, so hi to everyone!

Secondly, I tried to do a search to see if maybe someone else hasn't posted this before - can't seem to find it.

My issue is as follows;

I recently upgraded to a BB 9360 and am with Vodacom in South Africa.

First thing I did upon receiving the phone was set it up nicely and then WANT to change the Mobile Network options for Network mode from 3G to 2G only but alas, the only options open to me are 3G & 2G or 3G.

What happened to the option for 2G Only ?!?

Now, I'm a paramedic in South Africa and my 9780 Bold's battery lasts an entire shift (12 hours!) but that's with the 2G ONLY option.

So obviously I'd like to have this feature back on my 9360!!!

I can't afford to go out and buy new batteries!

I've done a bit of Googling and found that the option WAS available at some point, but then removed in the latest version which I think my phone is running: 7.1 Bundle 2039 (v7.1.0.714, Platform 9.6.0.111)

Guide me on how to get the 2G option back ASAP please!

I don't expect to hear the "network dependant" excuse because Vodacom have told me it's a Blackberry problem.

Thanks!

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: 9360 Missing 2G ONLY Option!!!

Hi gdiza

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Community  Forums

With the recent Updated OS that 3g to 2g has been replaced  as 3G OR  3G & 2G. You can set to the one as you desire , But if you don't want this options then I think the only way possible is to downgrade to the previous bundle in which you are getting that options.And for that you had to recall that previous bundle which allowed that Option.

Prince

_________________________________________________________________________________

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
gdiza

llRe: 9360 Missing 2G ONLY Option!!!

Hi,

Well, I've done a backup and am going to downgrade the OS!

I called a "cellphone" shop to price a 9360 battery and it's R500!!!

That's bloody insane!

So I have no choice to make a plan and get the 2G option back!

With all the bad reviews most blackberry's get because of battery power, you would think that BB would allow users to 'tweak' their setup (like ways to save battery power)

I've read all the 'tips' online and they hardly really help - the biggest killer of battery power is the 3G option - I only use the 3G option when I need to do things FAST - most of the day I am happy for my BB to sit in EDGE mode.

Anyways, going from version 7.1 Bundle 2039 to 7.1 Bundle 1133 and I hope it works!

Elite II
prince2012

Re: llRe: 9360 Missing 2G ONLY Option!!!

gdiza wrote : 

Well, I've done a backup and am going to downgrade the OS!

I called a "cellphone" shop to price a 9360 battery and it's R500!!!

That's bloody insane!

So I have no choice to make a plan and get the 2G option back!

With all the bad reviews most blackberry's get because of battery power, you would think that BB would allow users to 'tweak' their setup (like ways to save battery power)

I've read all the 'tips' online and they hardly really help - the biggest killer of battery power is the 3G option - I only use the 3G option when I need to do things FAST - most of the day I am happy for my BB to sit in EDGE mode.

Anyways, going from version 7.1 Bundle 2039 to 7.1 Bundle 1133 and I hope it works!

Dear gdiza

Its not Bloody Insane !

On previous OS bundles its different its only 2G or 3G , as the recent OS replaced it with 3G or 3G & 2G if you switch it to 3G & 2G your device will switch accordingly ,and I don't think that it will consume much Battery resources,

As you mentioned  you read those Battery saving tips so just try following it , Don’t drain your battery every day to 10-20% of its charge. You can actually expect battery problems by draining the battery. You can  top-off your charge during the day whenever convenient – even ten minutes in the car or at your desk will give you an extra 20-25% charge.So I don't think you need to buy a spare battery just because of this 2G & 3G option.

Just Don't leave any application open or run in the background and don't leave your browser open when not in use ,you may have read tips online but still I prefer you go through this RIM's article regarding battery saving tips :

KB14320 How to maximize battery life and free memory on the BlackBerry smartphone.

Prince

New Contributor
gdiza

[ Edited ]

Well, today was the first real day of use for the phone.

I charged the battery and only had BBM and Whatsapp in use.

The phone was flat by 11am.

I started shift at 7am.

That's 4 hours!

Why? 3G was perm. on.

I had this same issue with my 9780 - then I was told to turn the 3G off and put it onto 2G ONLY and bam, the phone lasted the entire day and still had power to go and I used it heavy (Twitter, Facebook, BBM, etc etc etc)

I want the same for the 9360.

New Contributor
gdiza

Good news!

7.1 Bundle 1133

This "downgrade" has fixed my problem.

New options!

3G

2G

3G & 2G

I'm very happy! :smileyhappy:

Elite II
prince2012

Hi gdiza

We are glad that you are happy now so no need to update your device if you want those options:smileyhappy:

Prince

dsenator1
My Device: blackerry curve 9369

how will i downgrade it to bundle 1133

Shivek_Surajpaul92
My Device: Curve 9360

this link explains the entire process quite well....

Upgrade/Downgrade BBOS 5,6,7