Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: 9360 Curve
My Carrier: Vodacom South Africa
Accepted Solution

9360 Overseas internet problem

Hi, I often visit Ukraine and when I'm there and use a local sim then I cannot get my phone to pick up internet. Why would that be? Other makes of phones i.e. Samsung, Iphone etc works perfectly there. Can someone please assist?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 9360 Overseas internet problem

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You did not say, but can we assume that your voice services work fine? And also what, exactly, are you asking by "pick up internet". Basic internet (e.g., web browsing via non-BB browser) or enhanced BIS services (BB Browser, email, BBM, etc.)?

If your voice services are fine from that local SIM/carrier, and you cannot use an alternate browser (e.g., Opera) for basic browsing, then your issue is with that local carrier not providing you with basic internet services.

On the other hand, if you are having troubles with BIS-level services, then it could be more complicated. First, that local carrier/SIM must provide BIS-level services. Second, your specific BB model number must be natively supported by that local carriers network for automatic registration and delivery of Service Books. Third, your home carrier cannot retain, in their BIS system, your BB PIN...only one carrier at a time can have a BB PIN registered to their BIS system...if one carrier holds it, another cannot provide BIS services.

So, with all of that as hopefully helpful information, please clarify exactly the situation you are experiencing, and perhaps we can then provide useful guidance.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hi, thank you for your prompt response. Let me try and give you a better picture of the situation:

1. My local service provider in South Africa (Vodacom) does not provide roaming services for the Ukraine, so I have to use a Ukraine network provider when I'm in the Ukraine (Life Network). So, when I'm in the Ukraine then I cannot use my local sim card because no roaming is supported by Vodacom for the Ukraine - this means that I cannot get my voicemail, text messages and any other services. Therefore I use the Life sim card when I'm in the Ukraine.

2. With the Life sim card I can at least make and receive calls, local and international. However, I can only receive text messages with this sim card and not send any text messages.

3. With my Vodacom sim card in South Africa I use my BIS services. I don't need to use BBM when I'm in Ukraine - it is not so important to me. But I would certainly like to use  internet on my phone when I'm in Ukraine.

4. When I'm in the Ukraine and I stay in a hotel then I can sometimes access the internet on my phone when I activate my wi-fi services (but only if I use my original Vodacom sim card). In restaurants (where there are wi-fi available) my phone cannot access the internet on wi-fi, even if I do use my Vodacom sim.

5. I'm not sure that Ukraine even sell BB - I don't see people use BB there, mostly Iphone and Samsung.

6. I've not tried any alternative browser yet.

I hope this clarifies the problem a bit.

Regards

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

That helps a bit, yes...thank you.

I was not referring to any of your home network services in my suggestions above...rather, solely to those provided when you are using the Ukrainian SIM (including calls, voice mail, and SMS provided by that carrier, not your home SA carrier).

From what you describe, you cannot hope for BIS services in the Ukraine unless you are on WiFi with your home SIM inserted. I cannot know why that works on some WiFi networks and not on others...if it works on one but not others, then that would indicate a problem with the WiFi networks rather than the device.

I would recommend that you install (while you are home in SA) Opera onto your BB. Then, when in the Ukraine, try to use it for web browsing via both the Life network as well as WiFi. See what happens. Opera does not require any BB-proprietary services from any carrier to function...the native BB Browser often requires those services in order to function properly.

Concerning your SMS issue on Life -- you will need to talk to them about that, for it is a service provided by their network.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks very much for your help and suggestions. I will certainly try a different browser next time and see what happens.

Kind regards

Rudi