Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: curve 9360
My Carrier: virgin mobile ca

9360 bricked during auto update

This wasn't my weekend!  I plugged our 9360 in and was informed an upgrade was available, so like a fool, I thought why not! A better question might have been why fix something that wasn't broken?

At least I was cautious enough to take a few screen captures. so I have an idea of what passed and failed  Here is what happened

The desktop application needed an upgrade and the download began

This was follwed by a rsuccessfull restart

My device was connected and Software updates were identified

I was prompted to install the update:
      7.1 Bundle 2841 (v7.1.0.1047, Platform 9.6.0.160

It successfully completed:
     downloading update
     erasing applications
     loading system software

The update appeared to go in fine until the

"Wait for device initialization"

At this point I noticed the USB port would disconnect-connect about 15 second apart.

The phone's red indicator led followed this cycle and the screen never did illuminate

This was followed by the message that the software could not connect to my device

I left the software and phone alone for over 2 hours and nothing changed.  I then hit retry and after a period of time the same error appeared.  I hit retry over 8 cycles with no change.  At  about 3 hours I concluded there was a problem and canceled the install.    I tried reopening the desktop app and got the message the Desktop Software cannot communicate with the device along with some comments about it either rebooting or havinf a dead battery

I remove the battery and sim in various combinations and retried the desktop software with no success.

RECOVERY ATTEMPT

I found the article on loader.exe - bricked phones and managed to stop the cycling of the phone
I noticed that the connection to the device (BlackBerry Device Manager window) appeared to be maintained, and after 6 minutes I initiated the OS restoration of an older version

The load of  JVM and system software passed, but at device initialization the same problem occured

I am not sure of the original OS version, the only information I caught is the windows that states
    7.1 Bundle 2841 (v7.1.0.1047, Platform 9.6.0.160)

Here is the rest of the details I have
   Phone: BlackBerry 9360
   Model RDC71UW
   IC: 2503A-RDC70UW
   Original carrier: SaskTel (Sk, Canada)
   Current carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

The power, PC, and usb cable were all fine during the upgrade.  I set the phone down and did not touch it to avoid any fumbles from couch football during the upgrade.  The only user activity on the PC other than the BB app was due the screen shots I took.

Is there a process I can follow to resolve this problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Contributor
My Device: Pearl 9105 OS v6.0.0.3169

Re: 9360 bricked during auto update

- Uninstall all BlackBerry software on your PC (restart)
- Download and install the latest version of Desktop Manager
- Download and install the latest official OS from http://us.blackberry.com/support/apps-and-software/desktop-and-device-download-sites.html
- Connected your device to PC and Wipe using BBSAK
- Load OS
- Restore your backup data using Desktop Manager
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the responce but BBSAK will not connect to my device.  The device manager shows the device is connecting and after roughly 14 seconds disconnects for a few seconds, then reconnects.  The FAQ for BBSAC says

Q. My phone wont connect?
       A. Things to Try
           1. Make Sure Blackberry Desktop Manager can see your device

I would think when they say can see your device it means a stable connection.  I have tried connecting BBSAK at the start of the loop much like you can do with loader.exe but have not had it connect.

IIs there some trick to forcing BBSAK to connect onto a continuous looping phone?

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have performed  KB10144 numerous times. (note in step 3 after update my version prompts me with REPAIR or CANCEL. Selecting REPAIR leads to step 4)  I have gone to the point of building a new PC OS so that any residual reg entries/ temp files could not exist.  I have tried different timing for battery in/out, recharged the thing, new usb cables, replacement battery, stopping just short of walking around it backwards 3 times while pouring a circle of salt. always the same result:

At initialization the USB-PIN:UNKNOWN disappears, the red led illuminates, 14 seconds later the led goes out and the usb-pin:unknown disappears.  The 14 second loop starts again.   The entire time the screen is black This started after the automated update and has never stopped.

The crackberry solution also seems to work right up to the initilaztion point, where it does the same thing.

KB27956 The CHECK for UPDATES button doesn't seem to do a thing, so I clicked BB OS7 & earlier, then tried the CHECK for UPDATES and still no dialog box as suggested in the proceedure.  The reference for this link appears to be non existant (href="#?IID=ca:bb:software:devices:software-update")  Any suggestion of the problem getting this to work?  Thanks

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

There are situations where no amount of software can help...you could have a hardware problem which is preventing any of this from working, and no amount of software can overcome that. Of course, it's equally impossible to truly diagnose a hardware problem at an internet distance...only in-hand evaluation by a qualified BB technician can provide a proper evaluation of such things.

Given what you describe and what you have done, it is a reasonable deduction that you indeed have a hardware problem which is preventing success.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I have seen this problem has occurred with others.  Most are fortunate enough to at least have a back-lit screen and in that state it appears they can recover the phone.  Those of us in the darker shade of screen, well, I guess our only option is to open our wallets again.

I think it is highly suspect that a HW fault would occur during a OS update for so many individuals.  I think there is something buggy in the BB update process that occurs infrequent enough that it can be blamed on the user or the hardware.  I have provided HW and OS support in a server room for the last 10 years and I have enough hands on system upgrades to know nothing at my end went wrong.  In 10 years I have only seen one OS update brick a system to the point HW replacement is required  Because the client who owned that system had not powered cycled it for several years and since the system was long in the tooth, the failure was attributed to old age. I believe it was just a matter of time before the hardware would have failed on its own. The unique part was the server manufacturer, who recommended the upgrade, took an interest in what went wrong, even though the original OS version was no longer supported.

To be fair I have seen updates in FW go south with no explanations.  The FW failures were recoverable and in a few cased the systems needed to be restored from backup.  In these cases the sys dumps where reviewed by the manufacturer and in a few cases new patches were issued to work around the upgrade problem. 

I am not sure what possessed me to update this device as I normally use the policy, if it isn't broke don't change it.  With consumer product support almost non existent at best,  it is no wonder that once the new product line appears, support of the older devices is left up to those that frequent the forums.  So, to those of you who took the time to respond to my question, thanks.  To those with a similar problem, give the above methods a try, done as stated you can get the unit to stop cycling long enough to load it .  Maybe you will be more lucky  than me and your phone will work again.