Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
mmyers
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

A few questions before I purchase...

I am thinking of buying the Blackberry Curve from Verizon Wireless but had some questions that hopefully the community could answer. Currently I am using the Moto Q on WM5.

1. Any problems switching from a WM5 device to Blackberry OS as far as Syncing all my data? I am using Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager for everything.

2. I know that most of the software I have acquired for my Q will not port over, but what about any data like spreadsheets, databases or word documents that I have saved on my media card?

3. Which brings me to my next question. Will I have to reformat the data card I'm using now or will I need to buy a new one? I'm currently using a Sandisk micro with mini adapter.

4. Does the Curve, unlike the Moto Q, backup everything just like the old Palm Pilots did? With the Q I had to purchase backup software to backup everything that did not get synced with the Vista Mobile Sync center.

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully making this an easy decision to switch.

Marc Myers
How-To Advertise Specialties
Please use plain text.
Contributor
avekhost

Re: A few questions before I purchase...

1. I wouldn't expect that you will encounter any issues syncing your contact information since you are using Outlook. When I first purchased my Curve I encounter a little difficulty in adjusting the settings to sync with Outlook but was fairly simple to manage past. Everything that was in my outlook backed up just fine to my blackberry.

2. You can view most documents on your curve although I haven't tried to view a .docx file (the 2007 version of word). PDF files appear slightly blurry on my device. One negative is that you won't have the ability to edit these documents unless you purchase a third party software to do so. If you can with out purchasing software I have yet to discover that solution.

3. Your micro SD card should be just fine. I had no problems using my that was in a windows mobile phone. All my pictures and music adapted just fine.

4. The necessary software to back up and sync everything was included with my curve and would see no reason why it wouldn't be included with your purchase. While different the back-up is similiar to the palms.

I hope I have answered your questions adequately. I can tell you that all in all I really enjoy my blackberry.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Writer
My Device: Torch 9810 - AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

Well said!  The only problem I am encountering with my new Curve 8330 (Verizon) is the Roxio portion when I want to import a photo to my Media Card: It seems that the problem starts when I drag and drop photo to the Media card area. After a long wait the message I receive is something like, "the module 9 is not responding."  Then I get a pop-up that asks if I want to wait for the 9 Mod to work, or to close the program. Each time , frustrated, I close the program! However, when I close the Desktop sync, and unplug the USB, I check the Media card, and THE PHOTO IS THERE!

I guess the ends justify the means, eh.?   And I guess I will have to accept this round-about "solution " until a desk top update comes in (The 4.5 Ithink) 

Having said all that, I would still recommend the 8330 Curve whole-heartedly!  I am still learning things that the unit can accomplish, that makes my job easier!  I had the Pearl before, but it was a wee bit too small (Screen) and keyboard.
Thank you Blackberry!   Hope this helps in your decision.

Writer~

Thanks,

Writer~
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmyers

Thank you both for your advice, and yes I think it has helped to make my decision a bit easier. I'm sure I will need to make some adjustments just as I did when I went from using my Palm T3 and cell phone to the Moto Q.

Thanks again for your advice.

Marc Myers
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ianw

Marc,

Please post back with whether you were able to sync your Business Contact Manager (as opposed to plain old Outlook Contacts).  From what I can see here (search for BlackBerry) you will need 3rd party software.

--Ian

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmyers

Ian,

Actually I haven't had time to do any research on this matter yet but I figured I would have to get a third party program to do this. With my old Q MS finally came out with a program to sync BCM with a windows mobile phone. Right now I have created a second contacts folder in Outlook and copied all of my business contacts to that. Unfortunately when it syncs to my Curve there is only one address book with all of my contacts listed. Thanks for the link to the MS newsgroup, I'll scan through that real quick to see if anyone has found a good program.

Marc Myers
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ianw

So far my research point to this: http://www.chapura.com/foldermirror_faqs.php but I have not had time to evaluate it.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmyers

There was also mention of Companion Link at http://www.companionlink.com/index.html which seems to be a higher end type of sync software than Folder Mirror. It allows you to sync wirelessly, for a fee, so if you are away from your office a lot this might not be a bad one either. Like you though I haven't had time to evaluate either one. If I remember correctly Companion Link had a 14 day trial and Chapura as always does not have a trial but they do have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Marc Myers
Please use plain text.