02-25-2009 09:06 AM
I am trying to figure out why this is happening. I have multiple email accounts sending to my Curve using BIS personal from AT&T including two from the same work server set up using the BIS settings for Outlook Web Access. My main work account has been getting many of the email below recently (several in a day at various times), but the other work account hasn't received these emails lately. This does not happen with my gmail accounts. My password has not changed.
When I get them, I go on my phone to http://bis.na.blackberry.com/wap/some-numbers/b008
Thanks in advance for your help!
02-25-2009 10:19 AM
02-25-2009 11:42 AM
02-25-2009 03:18 PM
I received an email at my primary work account via Outlook at 11:33, then another at 11:35.
I did not receive these on blackberry before the next email I received on my blackberry at 13:36 - another "Action required: update password" error.
After I REvalidated my primary work account, I received the two emails above.
The secondary work account had no trouble - no error telling me to validate my password.
I just sent an email from gmail to both work accounts at 14:47, received at both accounts via Outlook at 14:47.
Received it at my secondary account on blackberry at 15:00. Nothing yet on the primary account on blackberry (15:18).
02-25-2009 03:45 PM
02-27-2009 09:44 AM
04-10-2009 11:37 AM