Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
lj123
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Adding Emotions (Smiley Faces) to SMS and Email

I have a BB curve and my carrier is Sprint.  How do i add emotions (smiley faces) to SMS messages and email?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Adding Emotions (Smiley Faces) to SMS and Email

Hi and welcome to the forums!

The emoticons are built in the messenger. Its under show symbols.

I don't believe there is an option for email. There may be a third party add in. Try a Google search!

If this answers your question, please take a minute to resolve the post using the options by the KUdo's Star.

Thanks very much!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

There is a third party app to add emoticons to email it is $3.99

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1204&jid=C1AA7943ED6D6179886483C...

However you cannot add smileys to SMS.

~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lj123

Thanks for the answers Lorriem and Bifocals - not the answers I wanted but now I know.  Hard to believe that with all the cool things the Blackberry can do you can't add a smiley face to e-mail without jumping through hoops (and not at all in SMS).  Such a simple thing!!  I even tried to find a place on the BB website where I could gently suggest/complain but you can't even do that....disappointing.
Please use plain text.
Poker

.I agree.  Blackberry needs to add emoticons to SMS and email.  This sucks!!!!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello, it's not a question of feature but a question of standards. there is no smiley in the SMS international standard, and there is no smiley in the email standard.

You can have smileys in Blackberry Messenger, in AOL Messenger, ICQ, Yahoo!, MSN and also in html email you can add images that look like smileys.

Don't forget that when you send something, the other person must be able to see that too, otherwise it defeats the purpose.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Kill-joy :smileyhappy:
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TProfit
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

I dont understand that.  I could send emoyicons via my treo in SMS messages all the time,  So why is that such an issue with BB?  I am new to BB and was always using a Palm prior to this and maybe this is just my own ignorance but just doesnt make sense to me.  And there has been not one company that has fixed this flaw???? 
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

you're taking things reverse.
SMS was designed to send text messages. Letters and some other characters. No smileys apart from combining several characters like ^_^ or like : - )

then after that, there was an era for instant messengers. They used many pictograms to displays smileys like :smileyhappy: or :smileywink: . Then it started appearing on emails (Hotmail, YahooMail, Google Mail). Then some people started using something that looks like SMS, but with smileys. That's the case with TREO, or with the Blackberry Messenger.
But it's not SMS technologie, it's a superset of SMS.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nonnemoanimum

The Treo does not use a "superset" of SMS. It conforms to the spec-what it sends is actually part of the SMS standard.

What it does differently, and smartly, in my opinion, is locally (meaning: on the handset), translate any standard/well-known smiley text-sequences into a pictogram.

For examply, if you're composing an SMS on the Treo and type the standard smiley face sequence (colon, dash, close parenthesis) ":-)",the treo will display the pictogram for a smiley face, but it will send the actual text sequence (or more correctly, the codes for those characters, which I believe the SMS spec is based on ascii, though I could be wrong-been a while since I read the spec).

This enables SMS to be international (since it's sending the codes).

When the Treo receive an SMS, it receives the codes, and when it sees a well-known emoticon character sequence, it dynamically replaces it with a pictogram in the SMS application.

There's absolutely no technical reason why this couldn't have been (and still could be) implemented in the blackberry SMS application. I'd venture the reason it hasn't been is because RIM simply didn't want to, possibly to make the IM app appear superior to the SMS app. Why would they invest effort when doing nothing retains a distintinction?

Yet another way (of many) that new devices have (frustratingly) not incorporated previously-existing features. I do hope RIM addresses this-many of us rely on SMS, and there's no reason why the transmission medium should limit how it's presented.

Please use plain text.