Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

Address Book Issues: Blank entries / cannot disable wireless sync / java null pointer error

I have a Curve 8530 and have been using this with BES with Lotus Notes for years. Recently, my address book stopped wireless syncing and I have a whole bunch of blank entries in my address book. See below for details on what happens..

1. I rebooted the machine
  2. When I tried to access address book, I got an "uncaught exception error" or something like that (null java pointer). I tried rebooting and battery pulls several times and it keeps happening.
  3. Note: The address book does open, but I noticed there were a lot of blank entries at the start. It almost looked like the address book was wiped out.
  4. I tried to delete these entries, but it nothing happens.
  5. When I opened a blank entry, it went to the new contacts menu
  6. I noticed also that the address book was no longer synching with my corporate email address book
  7. For safety, I used BB Desktop manager to back up the Address Book and also backed up my Corporate email address book
  8. I tried to turn off wireless synch and noticed that I am unable to do that. When I saved, nothing happens on the screen.
  9. The only way I can close the address book options screen is choosing "Discard". When I, go back in, the setting is still set to "Yes"
  10. All of my other applications (email and calendar) are synching wirelessly with corporate Lotus Notes perfectly.
  11. I tried using BB Desktop Manager to synch, but it says that my address book isn't even installed!

The only thing I can think of is that my BB address book got corrupted somehow and now when it tries to synch it can't.

Other random notes:

A few days before this happened, the corporate blackberry admin said that they were performing a switch and that I had to leave my device on and plugged in overnight (which I did). The only thing I noticed after that was that my address book now contained "groups". I don't know exactly what they did. I noticed no problems after that.

Blackberry os= Bundle 1493, Platform

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Address Book Issues: Blank entries / cannot disable wireless sync / java null pointer error

Hello -- being that you are on BES, you will need to work with your BES admins to resolve this. If they need guidance, there is a BES-specific section of this site from which they can ask other BES admins. But, the BES admins control, well, everything...and they need to resolve this for you (likely removing your BB from BES, totally wiping your BB and maybe a clean OS reload, then reactivating on BES new).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? click here and also here. Please click here for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button.