Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
gb0138
My Device: 8530

Re: Alarm clock issue after OS upgrade to 5..0.0.973

Thanks for the info. 

Verizon was no help in rolling back the operating system.  Tech wouldn't tell me how.  Can you share how to do it please? 

Thanks,

Patrick

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Looks like this issue might also be present on the Storm2 on OS .983, so I've added that extra info to my communications with RIM.  Seems that the bedside mode simply is not activating correctly.

To downgrade, start by uninstalling any previous OS versions from your computer using the Control Panel > Programs & Features (or Add/Remove Programs).  Then download the previous OS from Verizon's website: http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx

Here is the specific link to .886 (for Verizon users): http://appstore.vzw.com.edgesuite.net/download/firmware/BB8530MR3/8530AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel1493_PL4.2.0....

Once you've got that, you can follow the instructions located here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Device-Software/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-Syste...

That should downgrade you with no problem.  And don't forget to back up your data first to make sure that you don't lose your data.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
gb0138

Unfortunately, I did an OTA update.  Am I hosed at this point?

Contributor
gb0138

Just in case anyone is still following this thread, there have been a number of users at "crackberry.com" that have also noted this problem.

It appears a roll back is the only option I have heard of so far that works.

Elite I
Krypto

[ Edited ]

gb0138 wrote:

Unfortunately, I did an OTA update.  Am I hosed at this point?

Nope, you're still good to go.  Just find yourself a Windows PC with the BlackBerry Desktop Software installed and you can go from there.  :smileyhappy:

And thanks for the extra info about CrackBerry.  I'll see if I can find some of those links and will add them to here.  Or, if you'd like to send me a private message with any of those links, that would help me a lot.  Hopefully RIM will be able to use that info to figure out what's going on.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
gb0138

Elite I
Krypto

Thanks!  I'll pass that on.  :smileyhappy:

Elite I
Krypto

Ok, thanks to some others on another forum, the problem is due to just one file.  This can be resolved by swapping out the file for one from a different version, but here's the catch... This is considered a bit of an advanced fix and depending on your level of comfort, you may or may not be willing to try this.  I would only recommend doing it if you know how to reload the OS.  But that said, if you do want to try it, here are some steps:

********Note: Do not do this if you are at all uncomfortable or do not want to take any chances.  In that case, your best bet is to downgrade to a previous OS.

1. Download and install a program called BBSAK to your computer: http://www.bbsak.org/
  2. Download or find a previous version of the file named: net_rim_bb_clock_lib.cod.  If you would like to download just the single file, this is one that I used in my Storm2 that worked (should also work for the 8530: http://www.bbtweaks.com/BlackBerry/OS_Files/9550/v5.0.0.983/Fixes/Bedside%20Mode%20Fix.rar (note: you will need a program such as 7zip to extract the rar file and gain access to the required file).
  3. Connect your BlackBerry to your computer and open the BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Back up your BlackBerry (this will protect your data, just in case something goes wrong).
  4. Close the Desktop Software.
  5. Open BBSAK and enter your BB password when prompted (if you do not have a password, just press Ok).
  6. Click on the "Modify CODs" tab and select the option to "Read System".  This will pull up a complete list of all of the files installed on your BB.  Sort them by name.
  7. To be safe, start by finding the file named: net_rim_bb_clock_lib.cod.  Delete it from your device.  Your device will then reboot.  Wait for the device to reboot before proceeding with the next step.
  8. Read the system on the BlackBerry once again and this time, click on Install COD.  You will be given a menu where you can navigate to the alternate version of the net_rim_bb_clock_lib.cod file.  Find that file and click OK.  This will load the new file version to your BB (the one included in the link I provided is version 5.0.0.979).
  9. Your phone will likely reboot once more.  Once the reboot is complete, you should be all set.

Again, if you are not comfortable with this, then do not proceed.

New Contributor
dhkuhn
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you for the fix. It worked.

Elite I
Krypto

Excellent, I'm glad it worked for you!