Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
StPeteMark

Alltel 8330 - GPS Not Finding Satellites Most Attempts

Only in about 1 in 10 attempts does the internal GPS finds satellites with Blackberry Maps.  Doesn't matter whether I'm inside or outside.  Is this normal, or could there be a problem with the phone? Thanks for any feedback!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StPeteMark

Re: Alltel 8330 - GPS Not Finding Satellites Most Attempts

I'm replying to my own message based on what an Alltel Tech just told me.  I live in the Tampa Bay area in Florida which is heavily covered by all the major cell phone carriers. As a result, my wireless connection keeps jumping from one tower to the next closest tower no matter which carrier owns the tower. The problem: only Alltel's towers will sustain the GPS search and connection to a satellite; the other carriers' towers will not. As a result, I have a very low probability of the built-in GPS receiver working to locate me when activated in my, or a like, area.

Result for my hometown: the GPS is nearly non-functional. What's worse, the sales staff probably has no idea they are selling a nearly non-feature.

A free next-best locator is to download Google Maps from Google.  The program will find your approximate location very fast using triangulation of cell towers...within 1000 to 5000 meters. Just zoom in and pan to get the area streets near you.

Other than GPS, I love this phone...so far! 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StPeteMark

I had to use a separate devise to make the GPS work.  I ordered the Globalsat BT-359C BlueTooth receiver last weekend andit works great...and uses satellites and not cell towers.  With Blackberry Maps, the dashboard for navigation shows the speed your going on the left, the direction on the right, and a satellite icon in the middle with a number which I assume is the signal strength.  The unit also works well for location with Google maps, too. Note: the Bluetooth passcode key is 0000.

For more info, check out: "http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-214-bt-359c.aspx"

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jim_me_c

I'm sorry I didn't see this post before and it sounds like you already spent money and found a solution.  But, having just read this, another option may have been to go to 'Options' (the wrench) from your menu, select 'Mobile Network' then switch that from 'Automatic' to 'HOME ONLY'.  Which would turn your roaming feature off.  This would keep you phone on your home network towers and keep it from talking to other carrier's towers, reducing the 'Jumping Around'.  I live in the Jacksonville area.  But, if you have as great of service and as many towers as you say in the Tampa area, you probably don't need the 'Roaming Feature' on anyway.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
StPeteMark

Jim,

Thanks for your suggestion, but Device GPS is still not connecting to satellites. Every once in a while, there will be an connection attempt, but the satellite icon will have a red circle/cross mark over it. After just a few seconds, it goes back into Searching for Satellites mode. Either the Device GPS is too weak, there is a device setting blocking it under certain conditions, or Alltel's network lacks adequate design to support the GPS function for the 8330.

The money spent for the Globalsat unit was well worth it...GPS connectivity to satellites via Bluetooth has been great so far!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StPeteMark

I am new to Blackberry so I'm still learning.  After exploring the different forums, I find that this GPS problem pre-existed my purchase four months ago on CDMA networks, which also includes Alltel.

I found the GPS not-working problem on two threads under Blackberry Device Software:

(Telus customers)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&thread.id=585

and,

(Blackberry reponds)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&thread.id=1435

Check them out...the Telus thread has posts indicating a software patch should be coming out in August so that the phone's internal Device GPS will work with Blackberry Maps and other GPS apps.  We'll see...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
toober

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Last week, RIM posted a mesage in the Device Software forum stating that they've found the bugs and fixed them, and the bugs can no longer be replicated in the fixed software that will soon be available through our carriers (the mystery patch we've been waiting for for months).

That post then mysteriously disappeared and a new one was appeared, which to me looks like it was carefully worded by their lawyers not to admit fault.  See http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&thread.id=1435.

They now do not admit that GPS is broken on the Curve 8330 CDMA, and they do not say it will be fixed.  I can only assume this is because they have now realized that they CAN NOT fix it.

If this is not the case, RIM needs to speak up.  We want a human to write us a message, I don't want to read legal nonsense.  Our GPS phones don't work.  We want them to work.

RIM.  This problem is not going away.  We're not going to shut up.  Make our GPS phones work or buy us iPhones.  I'm only going to get louder, and louder, and louder about this problem.

Don't tell me that I have to be in a field in the middle of nowhere to get a signal. I've tried that.  It still doesn't work. 

Don't tell me "we value your feedback!" unless you're going to do something with my feedback.  Just give me what I paid for, or recall your faulty product.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StPeteMark

StPeteMark wrote:

I am new to Blackberry so I'm still learning.  After exploring the different forums, I find that this GPS problem pre-existed my purchase four months ago on CDMA networks, which also includes Alltel.

I found the GPS not-working problem on two threads under Blackberry Device Software:

(Telus customers)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&thread.id=585

and,

(Blackberry reponds)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&thread.id=1435

Check them out...the Telus thread has posts indicating a software patch should be coming out in August so that the phone's internal Device GPS will work with Blackberry Maps and other GPS apps.  We'll see...

For more info, I have continued the discussion under Blackberry Device Software thread.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
replaysMike

I just bought an 8330 yesterday. I was promised GPS capabilities by my provider (MTS, Manitoba Canada). As many in this thread have pointed out GPS does not work. I've tried BB Maps and Google Maps, neither can acquire satellite signals making GPS useless. There was no extra GPS service offered by my provider.

Now, I was talked out of switching carriers for an iPhone because - 1) I needed good email capability and 2) GPS functions.

Why are you advertising GPS functionality with your device and not providing it? I have no problem returning it tomorrow and moving to an iPhone for good. Give me a good reason to stay with Blackberry.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jrowland

If this GPS is not unlocked soon I will trash my blackberrys and move to another system. this is on the phones unlock it. what kinda BS is it that you buy a product and can not use what is on it unless you buy something else. thats like tom tom charging for the use of the gps on there gps. UNLOCK IT.. this will not go away and We will post everywhere.

Please use plain text.