Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
LynnF
My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: Vodacom
Accepted Solution

App Error 200 - 8520

My 8520 is frozen and gives App Error 200 message. i have tried the solutions on the site, taking battery out and connecting to computer and using blackberry desktop software but it keeps saying that there is an upgrade available but something missing from my desktop software and have to install that first and when i say install it says there was a problem? what else can i do?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: App Error 200 - 8520

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Sadly, from your brief report, I cannot tell for sure exactly what you have tried...for example:

LynnF wrote:

but something missing from my desktop software and have to install that first and when i say install it says there was a problem?  

Unfortunately, I cannot tell any specifics from that...what, exactly, did it say was missing? What, exactly, were the words of the error message? Please remember that we cannot see you, we cannot see your computer, we cannot see your device...we have only your words here to guide us to understand your situation, and understanding is the natural prerequisite to proving useful assistance.

Nevertheless, I'll make a guess...

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below. (You likely won't be able to do this...with that error, it is likely that your data is already gone from your device, meaning some prior backup is what you'll need to restore from after fixing this problem.)

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Now re-try whatever it was that you were trying before.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LynnF

Thanks for your response,  i will take you through what i have done and be more explicit with detail.

i printed the page on how to force the detection of the bb smartphone using application loader and removed the battery and connected to the computer and when i was prompted to retry, update or cancel i clicked update. an update was found and i clicked get update.then the following message appeared " an updated blackberry desktop software component must be installed before you can continue" so i clicked install and then this message came up"there was an error updaing your software" an error has occurred while downloading the bb desktop software please try again. i have tried uninstalling the desktop software and reinstalled but same error message pops up.

what do you suggest. i downloaded the smartphone os this morning but not sure what to do next?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Thank you for the details. Please then do exactly as I described above.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LynnF

Yay! it worked, thanks so much......

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are very welcome...I'm glad it worked...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.