Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
My Device: 8330

App connection doesn't persist

I have 4.5.0.77 and a number of apps are failing to stay connected. They will all connect very briefly and then cite an unexpected internal err. They all will then disconnect. The only exception to this is VNCen which throws an exception: "java.io.IOException:" Bad socket id

Browser, email, gmail app, bbim all work.

After researching this, and following due diligence I deleted all the service books and resent them to no avail. Then (for hardware failure) I replaced the device. Once the initial service books were in place, I tried again, and again, no success. Tried again after a wipe/hard reset. No success.

I contacted VZW tech support to insure provisioning was correct. It is. They are unable to assist any further.

the following is a list of the apps that are failing:
VNCen 1.0
BBTran 1.5
RDM+ 3.7.7
MobileFileManager 2.5.36
AOL Instant Messenger 2.1.41 (from the blackberry site)

One thing I think is important to note is that I think they all connect at least for a short period of time. For example MobileFileManager has a FTP client and it will create a connection to my FTP server, I can see it in the log. VNCen will actually display my pc desktop for a little bit before it croaks. AIM begins to tease me with my buddy list before it withers. All the apps point to some unhanded exception. Sun.com seems to shed some light:

I have 4.5.0.77 and a number of apps are failing to stay connected. They will all connect very briefly and then cite an unexpected internal err. They all will then disconnect. The only exception to this is VNCen which throws an exception: "java.io.IOException:" Bad socket id

Browser, email, gmail app, bbim all work.

After researching this, and following due diligence I deleted all the service books and resent them to no avail. Then (for hardware failure) I replaced the device. Once the initial service books were in place, I tried again, and again, no success. Tried again after a wipe/hard reset. No success.

I contacted VZW tech support to insure provisioning was correct. It is. They are unable to assist any further.

the following is a list of the apps that are failing:
VNCen 1.0
BBTran 1.5
RDM+ 3.7.7
MobileFileManager 2.5.36
AOL Instant Messenger 2.1.41 (from the blackberry site)

One thing I think is important to note is that I think they all connect at least for a short period of time. For example MobileFileManager has a FTP client and it will create a connection to my FTP server, I can see it in the log. VNCen will actually display my pc desktop for a little bit before it croaks. AIM begins to tease me with my buddy list before it withers. All the apps point to some unhanded exception. Sun.com seems to shed some light:

http:\\forums.sun.com\thread.jspa?threadID=604802

"Java Errors and Error Handling - Error: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed"

Which seems to say that perhaps there is an issue with a proxy, but if that's the case, why the duce did it connect in the first place?

I am at my wit's end.

At this point, I've had the phone since the 11th, and I'm planning on returning the phone if it will not allow me to geek out sufficiently. Any help is greatly appreciated.

"Java Errors and Error Handling - Error: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed"

Which seems to say that perhaps there is an issue with a proxy, but if that's the case, why the duce did it connect in the first place?

I am at my wit's end.

At this point, I've had the phone since the 11th, and I'm planning on returning the phone if it will not allow me to geek out sufficiently. Any help is greatly appreciated.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: App connection doesn't persist

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with a custom MIDlet on the Nextel 8350i (OS V4.6.1.28).

Socket connections (client sockets and server sockets) work good for about 5 minutes. Then suddenly, the network interface goes south.  The coverage icon on the titlebar goes from 3 bars to 0 bars and the label changes from "NXTL" to "SOS". Then the network layer throws "java.io.IOException: Bad socket id".  After a minute or so, the device obtains coverage again, and the cycle repeats.

The problem only occurs when the MIDlet is running.  The built-in BlackBerry apps, such as the web browser, do not trigger the problem. 

I captured the problem with the debugger.  Everything is humming along fine, then without warning:

** Determining Coverage **

Last Coverage = 17

New Coverage = 16

New Coverage Text = NXTl 

[MyApplication] Caught Exception! E=java.io.IOException: Bad socket id 

This problem did not occur on earlier Nextel BlackBerries.

Any thoughts or help appreciated. 

--Joe

New Developer

it seems I have the same problem: after circa 5 minutes my app raise a Bad Socket Id, and then it reconnect. Why?
New Contributor

chris80 - 

FYI.  I never found a solution to this problem.  Unfortunately, I've had to steer customers away from newer Nextel BlackBerry devices. 

--Joe