Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Fortitude71
My Device: Not Specified

Applications that sync with the Curve?

Are there any other applications available ( free or not ) to sync the memo pad, tasks and calendar OTHER THAN Microsoft Outlook?

When I tried to configure and synchronize my BB 8330 Curve so i can transfer stuff from my computer onto my memo pad or tasks it gives me two programs . Yahoo and AscII task launcher or some bs like that.

In short, HELP!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Applications that sync with the Curve?

Hi and welcome to the forums!

You have a problem with your desktop setup. We should be able to fix it.

Please specify PC, operating system, Outlook version,

and Desktop Software version.

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Fortitude71

That's the thing.

I don't HAVE Outlook.  Express or otherwise.  I use Firefox Thunderbird for my desktop email client.

Otherwise...

Dell Dimension c531

Windows Vista ( yes ..that is bile rising in my throat as I state this)

Don't know the desktop software version 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I would suggest a free gmail account, comes with a calendar, and mobile sync for the BB.

You only need the gmail email to login to the calendar. You can use the Google calendar from

your desktop and it will auto sync your BB calendar, and vice versa,

If you’ve upgraded to Thunderbrid 2.0 you can now run the Provider extension that will sync Google Calendar and Thunderbird running the calendar extension

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-19-2008 05:51 PM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Fortitude71

I must not understand how this works.

Can't you use a seperate application for your tasks or memos?  Or does it have to be a an email/calendar client that allows you to sync with Blackberry? 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

To tell you the truth that's the first time I've seen a user request that.

The usual is the PIM (OUTLOOK - GOOGLE - YAHOO) etc.

I am not aware of any non-integrated programs that would sync with BB.

Sorry, wish I had a better answer.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Fortitude71 wrote:

I must not understand how this works.

Can't you use a seperate application for your tasks or memos?  Or does it have to be a an email/calendar client that allows you to sync with Blackberry? 

hello,

you synchronize Outlook tasks with the Task application on your blackberry.
You can't for Outlook notes vs. Blackberry memos.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
yankinulster
My Device: Curve 8310

[ Edited ]

Like others, I was trying to figure out how sync my notes on my Blackberry Curve 8310 to an online service, and OTA (over the air).

I use Google Sync for my Blackberry contacts and calendar events (which syncs with Google Contacts and Google Calendar).

Google Sync does not cover any notes or task items. These feature are sorely missing and desired by many in the Google user community.

For task list, there is Remember the Milk application, albeit with a $25 annual fee (www.rememberthemilk.com).

My best solution is to use Upvise (www.upvise.com). I set up a free personal account, then from my mobile install their mobile app.

Then, use their Notebooks feature. For the first go, I had to cut-and-past my Blackberry MemoPad notes onto my Upvise webpage. But thereafter, my Upvise Notebooks on my mobile and Upvise web account are always in synch. Nice bonus is that your Upvise Notebooks remain available to access and edit, even if you mobile service is off/out-of-range.

The Upvise Wikipedia search and display feature is impressive. The text-only interface makes for speedy retrieval, which is appreciated for non 3G contracts.

Upvise RSS Reader also has a nice, clean display and organsation of feeds. Would benefit easier method of adding new feeds, e.g. from the Upvise Google Toolbar button. I would also like some way of marking read/unread postings.

Upvise Contacts works, but has some shortcomings. First, limited field categories (only one address, one email). Second, does not sync with mobile native contact app. Without this or any support to sync with other contact managers (e.g. Google Contacts), I have little incentive to port my 3,000+ contacts over to Upvise.

But overall, considering it's free, Upvise offers a clever solution to at least one of my mobile problems (syncing of notes), and I like their OTA approach (cloud computing). I wish them well, and hope they can convince me to use their Contacts app.

Upvise are working on a Task List feature, which would then negate the need for Remember the Milk. For me, I don't keep track of completed tasks, so I just enter and delete tasks using the native Blackberry app.

Message Edited by yankinulster on 28-11-2008 03:40 PM
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Hello Yankinulster,

here is what I understand from the Upvise tools.
There is the Upvise Personal Edition that features :
  • a Wikipedia application : it's the same as using the mobile Wikipedia website, but it's easier to navigate (language or paragraphs)
  • an RSS reader (just like Viigo is a RSS reader)
  • a tool to synchronize the Blackberry Address Book with the online Upvise Contacts (that you can later synchronize with anything like Outlook)
  • a new Notebook application that can be synchronized with the online Upvise Notebook (these notes are separated from the Blackberry Memopad application). These Upvise Notebook notes cannot be synchronized with a desktop PIM.
  • a shopping list thing that can be synchronized online (like Remember the Milk ?)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
yankinulster
My Device: Curve 8310

Hello Xandrex,

Yes, that is the Upvise I have come to enjoy. However, when you say

a tool to synchronize the Blackberry Address Book with the online Upvise Contacts (that you can later synchronize with anything like Outlook)

that's not how I understand it. It appears to offer a tool to once-upload your contacts from your Blackberry device to Upvise Contacts. Then, any changes you make to your Upvise Contacts on your mobile will by sync'd with your Upvise Web account. However, your Blackberry Address Book then becomes adrift, non-synchronised.

As I use Google Mobile Sync to keep my Blackberry Calendar and Blackberry Contacts in sync with my Google Calendar and Google Contacts (which I use for my email), I can't rationally go over to Upvise Contacts, if it doesn't offer any syncing with my Blackberry Contacts.

But if you think I'm mistaken, do please straighten me out! I've sent a feedback request to Upvise about this.

BTW, although I don't use Outlook, how would you sync Upvise Contacts with it? I didn't see any tools for that (just once-upload tools to get your desktop Outlook contacts up to Upvise Contact, but no syncing thereafter).

Please use plain text.