Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Attachment Question

Don't kudo the Whitsox either...Give em to Da Bears Smiley Happy

Just resolve the post and kudo who your thought helped.

SouthSider Smiley Wink

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Attachment Question

Bearsfan62 wrote:

but the attachment was changing to a windat i guess for emailing to myself.

when you send a file attached to an email, usually it can be read on the recipient's mail software. But if you use Outlook or Outlook Express and use the wrong options, your Outlook / OutlookExpress will encapsulate all the attachments into an enveloppe called winmail.dat . It may seem stupid, but it will work if your recipient has Outlook or OutlookExpress. So in a way, you can think of it either as a way of natural selection of your friends, or of a way of bugging your everyday life. Just kidding, the explanation is that it is the only way Microsoft had to enable sending one huge file (say, 10MB) automaticaly split into 5 emails.

to make things short, you just have to clear that option in your email client.

to make things longer, in fact when you send a file attached into an email, it is encoded on Base64 before being added as a multipart inside the mail (next to the HTML multipart if you send HTML emails). that Base64 encoding makes the file globally bigger (+30% average). that's why for instance if your mail server forbids you to send a 5MB email, you can't send a 4MB file because 4MB + 30%x4MB = 5.33MB.

is anyone still reading my message ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: