Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900 downgraded to 4.6.1.231
My Carrier: T-mobile

Audio problem with install of new 5.0.0.822 OS...rendering device with new OS useless

Audio problem with install of new 5.0.0.822 OS

I'm having the same issue with ringtones, or rather profile settings with sound/audio.  This all started on 9/2/10 when updated to 5.0.0.822 OS.  My phone setting will not vibrate either.  Even though I have it selected in the respective profile under the phone option.

It doesn't matter whether ringtones are saved to my BB 8900 device directly or to the SD card as .mp3 or .wav files. My media player will not play any of my ringtones ( factory install, saved on device, or SD card), nor will it play any of my music on SD card.  I get a message stating  "An error has occurred when attempting ot play media "song name"."

I'm ready to stomp on my phone.  I had no idea my music wouldn't play in my media player, until I tried what the previous member suggested as having worked to solve the problem.

I must note that my profile email setting will vibrate when I get a message on 2 of 4 accounts.

I have pulled battery umpteen times.  Wiped the phone completely 2 times.  Factory reset the phone 4 times.  Pulled battery again 4 times..  Reinstalled the new OS....for the 5th time.  Deleted the app's I thought might be interfering.  I have used various tools to complete the actions I've taken which including the following; key sequence selection for wipe and/or reset, Blackberry Desktop Manager for OS & Application install/reinstall, and Blackberry Master Control Program (excellent tool IMO).

With most of the attempts to resolve the audio play issue, the ring tone selected in active profile will work for a period of a few minutes to several hours, then it quits.  I have no idea when this is going to occur.

I'm ready to go back to the old OS.

This 5.0.0.822 OS is a royal mess.

I hope someone issues some fixes for these major problems soon.  I'm sure some peeps are experiencing issues with recording video, and phones freezing at start up like I have.

T-mobile was so uninterested/impatient when attempting to solve problem when phone froze at restart....they decided to send me a new phone.  That is not sounding like a hopeful solution after reading the other issues posted regarding the new OS install.

I'm open to all suggestions.  Anything I do only fixes the Profile settings sound problem for a short period of time,  Nix that statement, because I just pulled the battery and couldn't get tones to play.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

Re: Audio problem with install of new 5.0.0.822 OS...rendering device with new OS useless

[ Edited ]

Yeh, RIM isn't testing 5.0 on the 8900 - but carries demand the OS.  So they push it out without testing it.  Its why the 8900 has so many features lost during the update.  Rolling back is highly recommended.  The small handful of additional features you get does not justify breaking major use of your phones other features.

Apparently the 700$ price tag on our phones didn't include proper testing and development of the OS.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900 downgraded to 4.6.1.231
My Carrier: T-mobile

Re: Audio problem with install of new 5.0.0.822 OS..Rendering device with new OS useless

[ Edited ]

Sad but what you say is true.

I've taken your advice and I'm now running OS v4.6.1.231 again.

If they'd taken time to test OS on just 1 phone, they wouldn't have released it.

What a disaster.  I agree with the post who thought this was a cruel joke.

I am surprised T-mobile released.as official version.....they have always been the most conservative of all carriers.  They let someone else get their toes wet before they put an upgrade out there, at least until now.

Thanks for your input and advise.  It made me come to terms with the futile effort to pursue running 5...822 OS.