Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
herescloud
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: AT & T
Accepted Solution

Auto shut down a night

While my cell isn't set to shut down ever automatically, every night it "locks up" and the only solution is to remove it from the protective cover, which isn't a fun thing when you need to know the current time or make a call, then remove and replace the battery.  Is it a problem with my particular phone or something in my personal set up?  Obviously I'm asking a seriously difficult question of you folks knowing full well its impossible to accuractly to answer without having hands on it, but I can only hope, can't I?

Thanks folks,  Mike

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Auto shut down a night

Hello,

Please expand on "locks up"...a detailed description of exactly what that is will help us to understand better, and then perhaps be able to provide useful guidance.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
herescloud

The  pad will no longer move and even if it happens to be over a icon it will not open it, neither will the shut down button on the top right shut her down.  I actually have to remove its otterbox, the battery cover and then the battery.  When I replace the battery, it starts up and is fine all day.  It does this "lock up" every night, very, very late.  I tried, one day, when I found it locked up like this to just wait and see if it would restart, rather unlock, on it's own, but gave up this plan at 1200 hours and removed and replaced the battery.  Then it was good all day....  Thank you for the trouble of trying to help me....  This old SOC retired man can't afford a new one at this time, and who knows when I can......Mike Abbey

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK thank you. I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
herescloud

I preform the task with the esc key as suggested.  The device shut off and it didn't turn back on, so I restarted it.  It doesn't appear to be any change? The screen is exactly as before.  Should it appear as my computer does when its in safe mode? 

Mike

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

It does not sound like you followed the proper sequence, as the KB documents. You hold the ESC key while it is booting up, not shutting down. The device should appear exactly as the KB describes. From what you describe, it sounds like you did not get it into Safe Mode. As I wrote above, it may take several tries to get it right, so please carefully re-read the KB article and conduct the steps again (and again, and again, until you get it right).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
herescloud

Sir, You were exactly correct! I didn't do it correctly.  I did this as advised and am now in safe mode.  I am guessing if it locks up tonight as it has been doing, I will need to preform the more drastic procedure of wiping her?  And yes Sir, I frequently back up my cells.

I'll let yo know tomorrow!  Thanks, Mike

Please use plain text.
Contributor
herescloud

Sir, I worked well!  When I got up it was operating normally!!!!!!  Sometime during the changinng to safe mode either I hit the set time and date back to eastern as we live in Central time now, or part of the process moved her somehow, but she wasn't locked up as before.

Do I leave her in safe, or revert back to regular operation?

Again, Many, Many Thanks.  Mike

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Safe Mode is a diagnostic process, intended to help you understand if a particular problem is caused by the core OS being corrupt, or some add-on app being the cause. Safe Mode prevents all add-on apps from auto-running at bootup, so that you can tell. For your result, indeed it would appear that an add-on app is indeed the cause. So, go back and re-read the first half of my post 4 above, for it contains the information you need to proceed (given your result, the 2nd half of post 4 does not necessarily apply).

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
herescloud

Sir, I'm sure it is obvoious that I am not very electronic savy by now and ask if it would hurt anything if I just left it in safe mode.  I'm sure that I can't do the detective work it will require to find the culpert. Everything works just fine in safe....Mike

Please use plain text.