Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BB 8310 shut off and won't turn back on

I was just taking a photo with my phone and it shut off on me. However, when i pushed on of the keys it came back on.  I then closed the camera and the phone shut down completely.  The red light blinks infrequently and stays on for several seconds when it does blink.  I do not have a way to hook this up to my computer and don't have BB software.  The battery was 3/4 charged when this happened.  I have tried the famous battery pull several times with no results. I have it plugged into the wall charger just in case but the red light blinks the same as if it weren't plugged in.  I'm not sure what to do now.  It seems as if the phone just crashed all together.  Any advice? 
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8320 / 9530

Re: BB 8310 shut off and won't turn back on

test with another battery

get a cable and a computer with desktop manager and try an appload

New Contributor

OK, this is a little strange. Since trying to use the phone with another battery is not an option until tomorrow I went ahead and downloaded desktop manager v4.7.  I connected my phone and my computer recognizes it but only during the short time when the red light is on.  As soon as the light goes out it disconnects from the computer.  Desktop manager doesn't recogize the phone but that is probably because it doesn't have enough time to do so.  The red light is on for about 4 seconds and them off for about 5 seconds before coming on again. Any thoughts on this would be VERY much appreciated.
New Contributor

Hi, I have to agree and say it sounds like you have a dud battery. best is to get another battery in the device, then immediately plug it into a proper Bberry charger and leat it charge correctly. I'm certain this will solve your problems.
New Contributor

Didn't get a chance to update this last night.  Took the phone to the service carrier and tried several things: tried three different batteries, tried powering on with different SIM card, hooked up to their desktop manager, nothing worked.  Phone is being sent back for warranty fix.  Their suspicion is that I may have somehow lost some startup files.  Got a loaner BB till this one is either fixed or a new one sent. Lets hope it gets fixed since all my contacts and passwords were on it.  Anyway, thanks for all the advice and help.

the same thing happened to my 8310, only it happened during the software upgrade. my roommate has the same phone, and his turned out fine, but mine shut off, and won't turn back on...and it does the flashing light thing that you mentioned earlier. did you get a resolution? am i going to have to buy a new phone?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8320 / 9530

[ Edited ]

it looks like it is missing the device software. Need desktop manager 4.7 installed

goto c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

open loader.exe

you going to a next button

at this screen pull your battery. 

the next part you are going to have to try an do as quick as possible

put battery back in, click NEXT

you will get a screen that says your device connection... as long as it says USB (does not matter if it is USB: UNKNOWN or USB: PIN) click NEXT, NEXT, finish as fast as you can.

May take a couple attempts to get it fast enough. may need to get a few slowly to get youorself familiarized with the screens and what you are looking for.

Message Edited by drizzt09 on 04-19-2009 04:37 AM